Originally Posted by chales View Post
Hello,

im just realize maemo is migrating away from nokia, which is a very nice surprise, but also concerning, mantaining an infrastructure like thise requires a lot of work.

Im a sysadmin, been using debian-based OS's last 9 years, i can help for whatever you need.

What im viewing is you are trying to concentrate everything in a big badass server, for the repository i dont think is the best idea, you would like to get as much servers as posible with multiples Providers (cheap ones) with a lot of BW, (for example server4you) gives unlimited traffic, and they are cheap, a server from them for only APT repository would be great. then just do a DNS round robin over repository.maemo.org

Also, have you tried to get donors for mirrors? sourceforge and iWeb.ca are very well know for their support to FOSS community, they have debian mirrrors servers and a lot of other stuff.

Hope we can mantain maemo for a long time.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Regards
Good point.

If you look at Arch Linux they have many repositories spread over many different donor sites. You may find that one or two of the organisations that host them, may be willing to host a maemo repo.

Their mirrorlist can be found at: https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Hi Martin!
First of all, thanks for your donation!

Originally Posted by martinwozenilek View Post
Ok, I've donated $20. But also maybe it's a good idea that you publish some figures. It's hard to believe that this infrastructure should cost several thousand $$$ per month. At the moment we have only a vBulletin system (all other still down). Other sites have these for free.
You tell us *now* ;-P

Are you using shared hosted ressources? Are you using bare metal servers and are you paying per rack space?

Before I donate more I want to have some more details what happens with the dollars.

Thanks!

Martin
I gave a quote of how much the currently working ( ! most of the time, except repo) infra would cost us, in post #1 update. This is a quote of Nemein who are hosting maemo.org for us until end of February, paid by Nokia. This does not include CoLo costs for the dedicated servers Nokia donates to us. This are another 500+EUR. per month. If you're interested in technical details, follow us on IRC(freenode) #maemo, I am posting details there on a by-occasion basis. Further details can be found on the (according to your statement, allegedly inoperational) wiki http://wiki.maemo.org/Migrating_to_C...Infrastructure. Sorry I can't find the time to elaborate here, we're currently a bit swamped with actual migration work already.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Just made a donation.....

Thanks for all the great work to keep this community going....

Mark

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamburg, Germany
Hi jOERG!

Well, thanks for your answer, this way it becomes fun to help! Sorry for my words. I'm a admin, not always polite. But always targeted in getting things to work. And I'm really eager to help with this Maemo project. Because the N900 is the first and until now only open source phone I'm own.

If it is for interest I'll check if I can sponsor a virtual machine (physical machines are a bit old fashioned) from the company I'm working for. We have some ressources left.

More later ...

Cheers!

Martin

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to martinwozenilek For This Useful Post:
Donated 10$

Thanks for your dedication to this platform!

Please, keep us updated on funds status (amount achieved, upcoming needs) so we can decide to donate an appropriate amount.

Regards,
Rafa.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgodinez For This Useful Post:
Hi, total donations and expenses can be seen at:
http://hildonfoundation.org/supporters/

Thanks and congratulations for this transparency!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgodinez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
My finances are completely out of wack these days/months but rest assured if i have just a little bit extra in about a weeks time i will be donating, and if things gets just a little bit stable i will set up monthly donations.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
My finances are completely out of wack these days/months but rest assured if i have just a little bit extra in about a weeks time i will be donating, and if things gets just a little bit stable i will set up monthly donations.
You already did !

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Australia
Donated $10.00

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to n900d-i-y For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by rgodinez View Post
Hi, total donations and expenses can be seen at:
http://hildonfoundation.org/supporters/

Thanks and congratulations for this transparency!

This table is being updated on a monthly basis or if there are lots of donations coming in (like at the moment) on a semi-monthly basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
chatbot, maturity?, mister clown