Well, I'll be getting my 16 GB SDHC card in three days. So I figured I would prepare to flash my 4 GB SDHC Class 6 card with the OS. (I have links to several of the guides here).

However, before I'd undergo this process I'd like to see if my final questions can be answered.

I can use the latest Nokia image correct? (should be able to)

I can use the rotate screen kernel. And that should effect both the OS on the internal flash, as well as the one that will be on my mmc right?

When I upgrade my main internal flash to Diablo will that break the mmc boot?

I know that by flashing with fanoush's flasher then you can also install a bootloader (for SSH and other access without mounting the file system). Is this compatible with what I"ve said above?

If I want to use KDE, do I have to make another seperate partition? I'll be using a 4 GB SDHC so what are the recommendations on how to split it in between the maemo on mmc and KDE on mmc?

Lastly, besides low level formating my 16 GB SDHC, do I have to do anything to get all 16 GBs to show up? Do I just format it in FAT?

Thanks!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I can use the latest Nokia image correct? (should be able to)
Yes, any image.

I can use the rotate screen kernel. And that should effect both the OS on the internal flash, as well as the one that will be on my mmc right?
Yes, kernel is currently not related to bootmenu and to the device you boot from (until we could boot more different kernels, we currently cannot do this).

When I upgrade my main internal flash to Diablo will that break the mmc boot?
Data on card is not touched by upgrade. If you do full firmware reflash you will need to restore bootmenu to boot your older system on card. If old system on card will be 100% usable depends on kernel version used in Diablo. So far such compatibility was quite high in the past.

I know that by flashing with fanoush's flasher then you can also install a bootloader (for SSH and other access without mounting the file system). Is this compatible with what I"ve said above?
bootloader is low level thing that loads linux kernel and provides usb flashing, this thing is not touched at all. You probably mean boot menu. Boot menu is something you must flash to sensibly select between booting from intenal flash or mmc cards. ssh and telnet over usb networking is optional feature of bootmenu. It is harmless so you can install it just in case but using it is not exactly for newbies. You either need Linux on PC or install usb networking driver and ssh client (putty) for Windows.

If I want to use KDE, do I have to make another seperate partition?
Not sure but I think yes.

I guess that maybe I could add to bootmenu such feature that could boot from specific subdirectory on specific root device so one could share one partititon for multiple systems. Could be useful in some situations. Will test this idea.

I'll be using a 4 GB SDHC so what are the recommendations on how to split it in between the maemo on mmc and KDE on mmc?
Your choice really. 400-500MB is reasonable minimum for Maemo, not sure about KDE.

BTW, there is (many times) more than enough threads about booting from mmc. It is not very good idea to create yet another one. Or you must have your own one and simply can't share them with others? ;-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Haha, I'm just nervous about it (was the same way when I made my first leap into Linux with Ubuntu). So I like to have the questions that I'm still not sure about answered in one thread (instead of having them scattered amongst several threads).

But I'll do it tonight, so thanks for the help! *crosses fingers*

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Ok so I'll have on the boot menu

Maemo - internal flash
maemo - mmc2 (internal memory) 1 GB
KDE - mmc2 (internal memory) 1.5 - 3 GBs
ssh, dropbear, and the other stuff

Sounds good, I'll do it tonight, hopefully it works out well.

Edit: Something I just thought of. Does KDE require a swap file/partition?

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2008-04-14 at 15:57.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Ok so I'll have on the boot menu

Maemo - internal flash
maemo - mmc2 (internal memory) 1 GB
KDE - mmc2 (internal memory) 1.5 - 3 GBs
ssh, dropbear, and the other stuff

Sounds good, I'll do it tonight, hopefully it works out well.

Edit: Something I just thought of. Does KDE require a swap file/partition?
The .deb or tarball will generate a swap file for you, dont have to worry about it. Although the thread said 1.5G, myself and quite some people posted it is NOT adequate, installation failed because lack of space (working space for installation). I think 2.2 G maybe OK, whereas 2.5 G is rather adequate. I think I failed one that has 2.1G partition and made it with 2.2G (its been awhile). No, you do not need a separate partition to make KDE, you do need to make a partition at least 2.2G.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Yeah I've been trying, first time, following the directions I wound up with a 500 MB maemo one then 3.5 GBs internal memory card -_-. My attempts since to turn this into a 3.5+GB device memory and 200 MB internal memory card have failed.