Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm not just new to the N810, I'm also completely new to Linux/Unix (apart from using Mac OS X at work, but I'm not sure that counts!).

My question is a simple one: where do user files live? E.g. I am using GPE calendar, contacts and todo: where does it store user files?

This is crucial because I need to make sure that these are being backed up properly - my N810 is my main pocket device for work and I can't afford to lose anything at all!

All help gratefully received - even if told to RTFM...

Tim

If you are sticking with defaults, your data is being stored on the internal storage of the device, not on the sd cards. You have to specify the SD cards internal or external when you save a file to save them there.

The Following User Says Thank You to schmots For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Your real question is How do I backup effectively.

You have some choice in where your data will be stored.

There are two things to do to back up everything: Use the Nokia built-in back-up tool (look around in the pre-installed apps, I think under Settings) to back up the data in the device memory; and back up your MMCs (cards) to your main computer (by copying, via USB)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
All user data is held in /home/user

GPE data is in a hidden directory .gpe

If you open the terminal and type:
cd .gpe

then:
ls

you will see a list of all files.

Peter

ps Nice to see someone from Oxfordshire. I originally come from Abingdon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterjb31 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks for both replies. The fact that the .gpe directory is hidden explains why I couldn't find it even with the GPE File Manager (which doesn't attempt to shield the user from the difficult stuff unlike the built-in one!) - am I right in thinking all directories with . at the start are hidden?

Tim

(PS Abingdon is very close...)

(edited to add - now found in the GPE file manager that if I manually enter /home/user/.gpe at the top they magically appear - thanks)

Yes. The "." prefix declares the file/folder to be hidden.

Originally Posted by Capn_Fish View Post
Yes. The "." prefix declares the file/folder to be hidden.
I always found the 'hidden' folder concept so Microsoft-ish..like 'thats too technical and dangerous, just press the colorful buttons'.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-04-15 at 18:45.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I always found the 'hidden' folder concept so Microsoft-ish..like 'thats too technical and dangerous, just press the colorful buttons'.
I think the original concept of hidden files in unix was just to be able to keep the amount of stuff listed to a minimum. So not to hide because it's dangerous, just hide for clarity's sake.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Gonna go with Grog on this one.. you start running gnome and a lot of add ons.. you wind up with 50 or so hidden folders holding your preferences in your ~ dir.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Could have sworn Data lived aboard the Enterprise with Capt. Picard...

... oh well.

Regards,

Omega