Active Topics

I'm on the fence about getting an N800 vs N810. I've read all the posts here about the pros and cons of each but there's one important factor that I haven't seen discussed. (If it has been, please direct me to the right thread.)

It's great that Nokia is offering the upgrade to OS 2008 for the N800 but my question is - what about next time? The N800 and N810 are pretty similar in hardware specs and are in the same series but when the next model comes out, will they support updates on the N810 and not the N800?

To me, it'd be worth the extra $200 to have a product that will have a longer update life than one that's already half-way through for half the cost. But then again, I'd feel silly paying $200 more for features that I'm not really sure are worth it if it's going to be lumped in the same product life cycle.

I realize this is probably all conjecture, since no one can see into the future but I'd be interested in hearing everyones opinions.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
We were told that the N800 would be supported for at least the next two major revisions (Chinook and Diablo) but because of the similarities with the N810, probably much longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Agree. It seems to me as though Nokia has transitioned the N800 to be a viable entry-level option for Tablet newcomers.

The N810 features the same guts, really. Same processor, same camera, same charger, same screen (nearly), etc.

I would imagine the N800 to be available still for a time to come, and there's no reason it wouldn't be updated.

Also, even the 770 got the OS2007 Hacker Edition, when it turned out incompatible with OS2007 and the community was up in arms. Nokia listens, specifically with their Tablet series.