Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Is there any other interpretation?
Yes, because macro can be achived by cropping the image.
Admitted, technically it is a complete difference to do it manually and just crop pixels, but if we are allowed to do, it could result in differences like with this attempt of mine.
Cropped from 4000x3000 to 50% at 2000x1500:

It is a 1.5cm bush rose blossom.

Last edited by mosen; 2016-10-11 at 09:17.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I cropped My photo. Am I discolofied?

Whoho. Im out!

Also, the fish is much bigger and bader in real life I think we need a new rule: Size matters

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I don't care if it's big or small, it's beer o'clock!!
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Naturally! Exactly according the definitions 2 and 3 in this post.
Is there any other interpretation?
I wouldn't trust that guy. He's unreliable. Irresponsible. Throw in undependable.

But whether one's pic is life size -- or any particular size -- for any particular viewer is awfully dependent on stuff out of the photographer's control. It'll be up to the judges to decide -- high stakes as this is, right?

BTW, the sunburst on the beer bottle is about 9 inches tall on my monitor viewed at a 1:1 pixel ratio. That's ~0.5 cubits if you use the metric system. Obviously I don't have one of those super-high-res displays -- I paid for those pixels, I want to see 'em!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
BTW, the sunburst on the beer bottle is about 9 inches tall on my monitor viewed at a 1:1 pixel ratio.
This. It filled up my whole monitor (with the image at only 24%), making it MUCH larger than a real bottle of beer. If viewed on the wrong (read: small) screen those mushrooms might not be larger than actual size either.

I have always used the assumption that macro meant super close-up. No math involved, no deep thought or consideration. Just a real close-up shot. With the focal lengths being what they are on certain smartphone cameras, this might not be possible- but we try!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Yes, because macro can be achived by cropping the image..
Oh yes, the so-called "digital zoom".

In my mind, it does not matter how you made that picture. Move your camera close to the subject, take the photo through a microscope, crop, beg, borrow or steal... the only thing that matters and defines it as macro is that the resulting picture shows larger than the real life subject on the display medium.

By that definition a billboard of a car can be a macro if that billboard is large enough so I agree that the definition is a bit fuzzy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Oh yes, the so-called "digital zoom".

In my mind, it does not matter how you made that picture. Move your camera close to the subject, take the photo through a microscope, crop, beg, borrow or steal... the only thing that matters and defines it as macro is that the resulting picture shows larger than the real life subject on the display medium.

By that definition a billboard of a car can be a macro if that billboard is large enough so I agree that the definition is a bit fuzzy.

In my opinion a macro is all about the resolution of detail.
A well done macro picture needs to reveal details one could otherwise hardly appreciate with the naked eye.
This is up to lens / sensor / film and of course skill of the photographer to focus correctly and eliminate motion blur.

To review the marco, the display medium (screen / paper print) should be capable to display the necessary amount of graphic image data from the original file or film in order for the viewer to observe the enhanced detail not visible throught normal observation.

The display / paper should be large enough and have enough resolution to reveal all graphic data at once or in case of screen display it can be achieved by zooming in on parts of interest to confirm marco nature of the image.

In theory a mini display with an insane pixel density could still display the macro photo with all enhanced details inherent to a macro but for the observer it would be pointless unless he was going to zoom in partially and / or use a magnifying glass over the mini displsay to confirm this is in fact a macro image.

To only blow things up larger than life but out of focus does not qualify for a macro if looking at the original with the naked eye still reveals more details.

Below cropped shot with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge blows up the subject well enough but hardly reveals more detail compared to real life so with my current level of eyesight I personally would call this an average macro picture and camera.

Name:  29633988954_663c513caf_o.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  23.2 KB

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I take issue with the "hardly reveals more detail compared to real life" bit. In fact I frequently use my phone to read labels on products because I cannot read them otherwise. Your zika () mosquito is just another example of the same thing. As far as I am concerned, it reveals a tremendous amount of detail compared to real life

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Your zika () mosquito is just another example of the same thing.
I think the Aedes mosquito has bigger, whiter spots than that lovely closeup of a nasty creature. That's some great detail in that photo!

Originally Posted by ste-phan
cropped shot with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge blows up the subject well enough.
I see what you did there.

(BTW, I've never actually wished that the subject of one of our photo contests be killed before. It was killed after posing for that photo, wasn't it, ste-phan?)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Seed head, Rattlesnake master.

Eryngium yuccifolium. A plant native to the central and eastern prairies of North America. This example is deliberately cultivated by the photographer. When in bloom, the flowers appear like white puffballs. Unlike some gardeners, I prefer not to cut down the spent stalks -- they're stiff enough to remain upright through the winter, and look attractive with frost or snow on them. As the binomial suggests, it does have leaves that resemble a yucca.

Photo shot with N9 and stock camera. Homemade "macro" setup consisting of pocket-sized magnifying glass held in front of lens. Kinda gives a trippy bokeh, I think.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, competition