Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ California
Battery life, weight, size and the OS are my deciding factors (in that order).

A lot of friends love my N810, but I have trouble recommending it due to the steep learning curve to get everything up and running. As a result I tend to point them towards the ipod Touch, even though I would never want one (I can't type on those darn things) as it works straight out of the box.

I'm always on the look out for a N810 equivalent that is easier to use that I can point family and friends towards - basically an ipod touch with a hardware keyboard - but that does not exist. I think the N900 will fill that void especially if you don't need to flash it as soon as you open the box.

Last edited by AstroGuy; 2008-09-27 at 20:55.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by harpgliss View Post
Does it really need to be a choice?
Well, uh, since we haven't invented free energy yet . . . yeah, it kinda does.

Minor oddities of a badly setup display system on a specific tablet aren't really a part of this discussion.

Don't any of you guys believe in a spare battery ?

That's something I'm really impressed with on the N810. Lovely slim battery. Can carry a spare in my wallet no problem.

I've been checking out the HTC Touch HD (nice hardware) and one of the first things I found myself looking for is how pocketable the battery would be. Not something I would have done before...

Zuber

No, I really don't believe in having to shut my device down to enjoy the second half of its battery life. They should make the battery twice the size, then I could get an aftermarket one twice that size, and keep the original as a genuine spare.

Since that didn't happen, I use iogear gearjuice mobile and black&decker pocket-power battery packs to recharge while working when I need more than a microbattery's worth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Fair enough, but fiddling with all that sounds harder than carrying a spare

Zuber

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Seeing as the S6 runs on an Atom processor and the battery life is expected to be under 4 hours.

Based on responses so far, I don't think many of us will find this device as a suitable alternative to the N8xxN900.

Although it will probably be pretty fast. The Battery life is not acceptable.

Last edited by dbec10; 2008-09-27 at 23:41.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ California
A second battery is something else I have to carry around and worry about, plus I'd need a battery charger as well. Then I'd probably either lose it or leave in my pants pocket and run it through the washing machine.

I did the second battery thing with my first cell phone (Nokia) and I lost a few batteries in the process. I no longer have a cell phone and I'm a happier person.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
There is a new image gallery up over on UMPCportal, like other users have said this device is really interesting but the battery life issue is big.

http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/v/benq/benqalberto/

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
The way you can scroll web pages by tilting the device looks interesting. I saw a technology demo of this many years ago, and it's great to see it come to fruition in a real product. Have a look at the demo in the video on BenQ's site:

http://benq.com/products/MobileInter...&page=features

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Just saw the new video on UNPC portal.

Device looks really good. UI is great.

Load times is abit of an issue for me however. I like instant on devices so that I can start to input data while someone is talking.

If only it was a little smaller....

But I know it will be great for some other people. Price is just right.