Hi Everyone!!

I am so glad to be trotting around with my N810. Never thought I'd buy a tablet

Anyways...

Could somebody please explain to me the difference between an "applet" and an "application" with specific reference to how they appear on the desktop?

I am excited about apps that reside on the desktop itself. But all new apps that I have installed don't even appear in the Home>Select Applets dropdown!

Wud appreciate advise.

Best,
wirefree

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ NJ, USA
Gladly. An "applet" resides and works from the desktop. Examples would be the internet search bar, the internet radio, and the "getting started" button.

Applications are found by pressing on the bottom icon of the 3 icons on the left side of the desktop. Pressing the different gray-shaded words reveal different lists. Most likely, the applications installed will be in the "Extras" tab.

Only a few applications have desktop applets.

-TK

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Applet: doesn't take up the full window area nor full screen, is resizable, and is only visible when all applications are minimized, cannot be minimized, runs constantly, starts at boot time.

Application: takes up the full window area or the full screen, only resizable in terms of "full screen vs full window area", can be minimized, does not run constantly, does not start at boot time.

ok...gotchya!

In which case, where's the applet treasure trove?? Where do I download 'em? Most download sites, including internettablettalk, categorize all under titles like "Softwares" or "Downloads".

- wirefree

Last edited by wirefree; 2008-01-20 at 02:49.

There are many fewer applets than applications. I do not think they are catagorized as applets. A few good ones might be fmradio, omweather, and simplelauncher.

I remember seeing a lot many more at Nokia's flagship store in Manhattan...if my memory serves me well, there was an eBay applet too...

think i'll hve to pay them another visit!!

but look at the screenshot here:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/omweather/

...theres some action happening down at the bottom...there are 3 icons to the left of the clock...wonder what those are for!?

Last edited by wirefree; 2008-01-20 at 15:46.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
I believe those are apps in Simplelauncher.

---------------------------------------------

I believe simplelauncher has shortcuts to apps, but I was referring to simplelauncher as an applet on the desktop.

And those three icons are part of that simplelauncher, the applet has transparency

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
I wish he'd port it to OS2008.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by TabletKev View Post
Gladly. An "applet" resides and works from the desktop. Examples would be the internet search bar, the internet radio, and the "getting started" button.
-TK
It's even worse. There are normal applications, home applets, status bar applets, task navigator applets, control panel applets ...

There's a bunch of different type of applets. The hello-world demo that's part of the development suite demos them all.