The one application I really wanted for my 770 is a clone of Netstumbler. I got kismet, but apparently I don't know how to run it and that's not what I really wanted.

I assume it wouldn't be very hard (but I'm not much of a C programmer). Could we just make something that uses the same network-searching functions as the built-in Connection Manager? I just want stuff like SSID and strength, and the ability to save it as a list. On top of that, we could add some GUI widgets.

Would that be feasible?

I doubt there will ever be a Net Stumbler or Mini Stumbler port as these are closed source Windows applications. Wellenreiter was ported to the Sharp Zaurus platform which is also ARM based. Hopefully someone may be able to port this application to the 770. It does everthing on your wish list and is GUI based. I would be happy with a working copy of Kismet (without the hundreds of "ghost" networks).

http://www.wellenreiter.net/

While kismet isn't ready for primetime yet on the 770 (its still listed as a work in progress), its better than mini / net stumbler in my opinion.

The reason is, the stumbler family gets its information by saying, hey look I'm here is there a network? and then goes based on what the AP says. If the AP is set to not respond, and not broadcast its ssid, it won't show up at all.

Kismet runs in a passive mode and watches the radio signals. So even if the AP is set to be hidden, you'll still find it. The command line gui isn't that hard. resort with s, I like s followed by l (last seen). if you find a group with a + next to it, you can either look at it with i or break the group up (don't remember the option of the top of my head). While there are gui clients for Kismet on regular nix, I don't think we'll see anything for the 770 until the developer gets one.

For the record, I used my 770 yesterday with a field guy running air magnet at work yesterday, and I was pulling networks quicker then he was with his gui based tool. Down side is that I had lots of ghost networks, but its still being ported, so I'm not expecting perfect.

Good primer for kismet: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3595531

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Mazin
The one application I really wanted for my 770 is a clone of Netstumbler. I got kismet, but apparently I don't know how to run it and that's not what I really wanted.

I assume it wouldn't be very hard (but I'm not much of a C programmer). Could we just make something that uses the same network-searching functions as the built-in Connection Manager? I just want stuff like SSID and strength, and the ability to save it as a list. On top of that, we could add some GUI widgets.

Would that be feasible?
Yes, it already exists. You have kismet that runs perfectly well on the 770 but it's a ncurses application, not a graphical one.
And if you need only ssid and rx level you have the iwlist command from the wireless extensions.
that's enough I think.
db

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ