Posts: 191 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bloomington, IL
In my poking around on my N900 in my /etc/event.d/rcS-late file I noticed a command sfdisk -l and since I had also noticed that the command fdisk -l was unknown on my N900 I was curious about it. Needless to say sfdisk appears to function the same as fdisk on any other distro...

Any ideas why they changed the command name on Maemo 5? Seems like an odd thing to do IMO

~Jeff

http://linux.die.net/man/8/sfdisk

sfdisk is an actual tool, and is actually provided by default with atleast Ubuntu (however not Debian, atleast not on a minimal install). They didn't change the name, they just simply provided sfdisk and did not provide fdisk.

Originally Posted by Jef91 View Post
In my poking around on my N900 in my /etc/event.d/rcS-late file I noticed a command sfdisk -l and since I had also noticed that the command fdisk -l was unknown on my N900 I was curious about it. Needless to say sfdisk appears to function the same as fdisk on any other distro...

Any ideas why they changed the command name on Maemo 5? Seems like an odd thing to do IMO

~Jeff
It is different. It seems to be designed to execute arguments to it on the command line imediately then exit. That is, it is designed for scripting. Too scary for me on n900's little keyboard and tiny screen. Slightly less scary when ssh in from somewhere else. But sill kind of risky.

The older Nokia tablets also have sfdisk.