Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't think it's going to change much, to be honest with you. Every single time Apple announces something, everyone says "oh, the tablets are dead", but yet we're still here, alive and kicking, better than ever.

It's annoying enough to see the Apple news parroted everywhere on just about every site I go to... and everytime it happens, we have to suffer through it here. Ugh.

The n800 is now dead... wih the touch out there for less money and he superb interface there just is no compitition..

nokia had a good product, apple made it user freindly, sales will follow...

my prediction is th iphone and touch go the route of the SonyPSP.. here will be a huge hacking communuit bases on these devices... there already is a large community of hackers hackng the iphone.. nowbthey haveeven a bigger user base to write apps for etc..

Nokia had there chance..they failed, i still lke my n800 and use it every day.. Apps are going to start flooding the market for these devices, thats when that iphone hits my possesion and at that point il have very little use for the n800.

So...the big Apple announcement today...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/s...special-event/

"Review time: multi touch, widescreen iPhone display, Cover Flow, Wifi, Safari / YouTube... "We're going to offer it in two configurations, the first is 8GB, the second is 16GB of storage.

8GB is $299... the price for the 16GB is $399"

Jobs: "WiFi, as you may know, is faster than any 3G cellular network, so it's really fast." Zing!

Last edited by dlhuss; 2007-09-05 at 19:44.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I have always been perplexed by Nokia’s intentions with the IT. It is as if simply by calling it an Internet Tablet, supplying it with a browser and email and little else that it will act as a ‘golden arches’ to which consumers will flock.

Personally, I think Nokia’s big mistake was in assuming that internet access is so special that simply to have it was the be all and end all. Echoed on here by the ITT Forum mantra “Its an internet tablet, stupid.” To be thrown at anyone who has the temerity to question why the options to do so much more are not available.

Certainly Nokia have made little effort to develop the N800’s capability. From what I can gather, sales to date have been minimal and with the arrival of the iPod Touch, they can say goodbye to future sales too.

I wonder where this leaves development of the fabled N900? In the light of the competition will Nokia simply call it a day, with their experiment in this form factor having failed? On the other hand if they can rise to the challenge then we will have something very special to look forward to. Why am I not optimistic.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't think the tablets are in the exact same space at the moment, nor do I think they are intended to be. I don't know why people keep kneejerking to comparisons that are only fractionally relevant.

I'm damn glad to see this, though. It can only help grow the multipurpose device markets.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I wonder when Nokia will cut the price on the N800.
Apple has put them in a position were the N800 will collect dust on the selves if Nokia does not move fast!

Now we will see if Nokia is going to "put up or shut up" when it comes to the internet tablet . Whatever happens we as users/customers will be winners....let the games begin!!!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't think the tablets are in the exact same space at the moment, nor do I think they are intended to be. I don't know why people keep kneejerking to comparisons that are only fractionally relevant.
I know. It's like with the whole iPhone thing. Everyone was saying "omg, I'm getting an iPhone" and "Nokia better watch out!" and "Nokia's going to die". I'm so tired of it, especially since the iPhone barely made a dent in anything.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
zerojay, tired of doing what?
reading their posts? just ignore it..
trying to convince them of your way of thinking? well good luck there..

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
"For me, the NIT functions as a small laptop; versitalility is the key."

Exactly. Here's how I look at it -- What would I miss if I swapped my N800 out for an iPod touch?

* Being able to VNC into my home computer
* Being able to cache-read RSS feeds on my subway ride
* Being able to sketch a quick drawing with the stylus
* Being able to casually read a PDF paper on the sofa
* Being able to Bluetooth-pair with my phone when open wi-fi isn't available (admittedly, the iPhone would solve a lot of that)

But seriously, you can't agree that these are mass-market features.

What the iPod touch does is cement the Internet Tablet to the Linux-fan and computer-hobbyist markets only. The Apple product design mantra of "do a few things clearly and extremely well -- even if limited" is a winner for the general public, and this means it will have the audience that companies and functionality-hackers will want to target.

E-ville makes exactly the right analogy: the Sony PSP is as closed as game hardware could be, yet it enjoys a tremendous hacker community putting all sorts of emulators and titles on it. Apple has never been as tough on hackers as Sony has been (see existing Apple TV and Linux-on-iPod hacks), of course, that could change -- but is unlikely and sets the tone as to what can happen on the platform. That, and Apple may add some of these "missing" abilities officially in later firmware updates which as we've seen happen pretty damn smoothly, and frequently (unlike IT updates).