I've asked the german nokia shop on how to get a US-keyboard (mentioning the UK shop which doesn't deliver outside of the UK). They told me the device specifications are not officially released and therefore they couldn't say more on availability of devices with US-keyboards.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
I think I'll try to get the UK layout for the following reasons: while on the web I write very often in english (and it's not really a problem for me), italian and dutch (my main languages) don't need very special characters, so i can stick with the UK layout with less problems. The only extra characters I may need are the ¨ (as in België) and some accented letters like ó é č í... I hope they'll be easy to find in the special characters submenu. :-)
And the GBP is low: 500 British pounds = 572.669328 Euros

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
It'll not be practical on some games.
It might not be as bad as all that.

Seeing as they're physically all the same keyboard just with different labels, games shouldn't be a problem as they would probably let you define your own keys. And even if games didn't let you redefine keys, the operating system almost certainly would let you switch to another country's layout.

In any case arrow keys are misleading IMHO. A lot of people like me grew up with 8-bit computers where keyboard controls would be a layout like:

O = left, P = right, Q = up, A = down

because it let you spread the functions all over the keyboard which made gaming easier.

I would imagine something similar would apply to games on the N900. It might be different on such a small device, maybe something like Q, Z, H, L or something but you get the idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
@korbé: Design decision. You'll be able to enter all chars you need, just not all of them by using the keyboard. Space is limited, that's how it is.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Someone has pictures of German QWERTZ keyboard?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Where's the dvorak layout. That's really the one thing I would like to see... But I'm guessing setxkbmap and a few custom labels on the keys would work as well

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Someone has pictures of German QWERTZ keyboard?
Amazon.de seems to have one:
link to product page

Just pre-ordered mine btw, I guess I'll live with the swapped Y-Z

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin_bg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
I fear that this is not the german one, as it does not feature any of the stupid umlauts (as I am german I feel like i may say so. And yes, this seems to be a correct translation ).

If you click on the picture on Amazon.de and zoom in, you can see it clearly. It has QWERTZ but no umlauts.
Have to say that I would very much prefer to have proper cursor keys

BTW, just realized - I am not related to 'Corwin_bg' in any way.
Deciding wether I am feeling happy about this similar name, though.

Last edited by Corwin; 2009-09-17 at 08:34.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia

Russian layout spotted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I fear that this is not the german one, as it does not feature any of the stupid umlauts (as I am german I feel like i may say so. And yes, this seems to be a correct translation ).

If you click on the picture on Amazon.de and zoom in, you can see it clearly. It has QWERTZ but no umlauts.
Have to say that I would very much prefer to have proper cursor keys

BTW, just realized - I am not related to 'Corwin_bg' in any way.
Deciding wether I am feeling happy about this similar name, though.
I certainly hope this will be the keyboard on the production unit. I wonder if I should cancel my pre-order or risk getting a device with funky umlauts on it :/

Any chance for an official confirmation from Nokia about this?

p.s. Cheers Corwin Fellow Amber fan, perhaps?