Is there a way to make an 810 into a wifi hotspot type device using BT-DUN from say a cell phone. Using the tablet as a router and BT for net connection to your cell? That way one could use other wifi devices going though the 810 for connection sharing.
Don't know if anyone has ever seen an app like that or not.
celtsune@gmail.com

An ad-hoc connection, sure. Putting the N8x0's wireless into AP mode... Not sure, but even if you could, it'd probably slaughter your battery (even worse than ad-hoc).

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
An ad-hoc connection, sure.
How would that work practically? Sure, the Linux kernel can do the trick, technically, but are there ready-to-use scripts? A GUI?

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
GUI? not likely since that is pretty niche.
Suggest practicing on a desktop linux box first. HostAP is what I've used in the past. But a cheap AP is better than HostAP is fun, slap a battery on an AP and forget killing the NIT as a router. And up here in the Great White North the cell data plans are so slow and so expensive I don't even own a cell phone much less tether the NIT.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
This is something which I would also like to do. Maybe I'll explain why so that you understand better.

I have a data plan for my cell phone: 10 gigs a month, up to 3.6Mbits/s download (HSDPA). Since it is tied to my SIM card, I can do the following:
-use bluetooth to connect the N810 to the Net via the phone
-use bluetooth to connect my Macintosh to the Net via the phone
-get the SIM card out of the phone, put it in a wireless router (about 200€) and be able to connect the Mac and the Nokia at the same time (and not be able to receive phone calls on my mobile number for the time that the SIM is in the router).

So: YES, being able to use the Nokia (or recycle the old 770 I have lying around) to distribute the Internet connection by wifi as soon as my phone is in bluetooth range would be great. Ideally, I would leave the 770 at work: as soon as I am there (with the phone), the 770 connects via bluetooth and all the devices I have with me get a wifi connection. All this with a single SIM card.

I know that battery life will be terrible, so I will have to keep everything plugged in. No big deal.

Hmm so any idea how to start doing this? it would be nice to have a nice gui app.
But hell even a unix script to turn it on and off would be cool.

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
This is something which I would also like to do. Maybe I'll explain why so that you understand better.

I have a data plan for my cell phone: 10 gigs a month, up to 3.6Mbits/s download (HSDPA). Since it is tied to my SIM card, I can do the following:
-use bluetooth to connect the N810 to the Net via the phone
-use bluetooth to connect my Macintosh to the Net via the phone
-get the SIM card out of the phone, put it in a wireless router (about 200€) and be able to connect the Mac and the Nokia at the same time (and not be able to receive phone calls on my mobile number for the time that the SIM is in the router).

So: YES, being able to use the Nokia (or recycle the old 770 I have lying around) to distribute the Internet connection by wifi as soon as my phone is in bluetooth range would be great. Ideally, I would leave the 770 at work: as soon as I am there (with the phone), the 770 connects via bluetooth and all the devices I have with me get a wifi connection. All this with a single SIM card.

I know that battery life will be terrible, so I will have to keep everything plugged in. No big deal.

Why connect everything when you can use the cell phone? It is surely more expensive to pay for the voice/data plan than a wireless only.

Originally Posted by heatheriscool View Post
Why connect everything when you can use the cell phone? It is surely more expensive to pay for the voice/data plan than a wireless only.

I rarely use the phone part of the cell phone. I don't want the N810 to be online for voip, but for other internet applications.

Originally Posted by Celtsune View Post
Hmm so any idea how to start doing this? it would be nice to have a nice gui app.
But hell even a unix script to turn it on and off would be cool.
Unfortunately, it seems that to run a wifi card in access point mode, you'll need a prism chipset: this page here lists the requirements.

That leaves use with two solutions:

First one:
-use ad hoc mode explained here
-start the Internet bluetooth connection explained here
-add a route command to link the two interfaces.

Second one:
-use a wireless access point to create the network (and I have one lying unused...)
-all wifi devices (including the tablet which will be used as a router connect to the wireless network and get their own i.p.
-the tablet is configured as the default router
-the tablet is also connected to the Internet via bluetooth
-add a route command on the tablet to link the two interfaces

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:
This is not an answer to the question concerning the N800, but I just found that it is possible to directly turn some symbian smartphones into a wlan access point using a software called joiku. A different solution to the same problem...