Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
It was just a matter of time...

Thanks to Sun's open source PhoneME project, Brian Coughlin (Sr. Technology Strategist at Sprint) told me this week that it was trivially easy to put a Java ME CDC Foundation Profile runtime on the N800. He posted instructions on how to build Java for the N800, as well as a download link for a binary

Binary >> http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobile...tformsNokia800

Watch out you don't step in the flying pig doodoo...

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Say what? I didn't understand a word of that.

Not precisely news, but it's good to hear someone else is giving it a shot too.

Actually, the fact the instructions are updated is quite nice. The old ones had issues on my system. Might resurrect my (extremely hackish) attempts to get a GUI on this

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oops... I think I just wet myself...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by AndyTheSwede View Post
Say what? I didn't understand a word of that.
I remember a post either here or another Maemo board awhile ago stating "pigs will fly before the N800/Nokia supports JAVA"...

Apparently Sprint is digging the N800 "non-phone" device as a way subscribers can use their future WiMAX network. This fits in well with Sun's "phoneME Project Vision" >> https://phoneme.dev.java.net/phoneme_vision.html

If Nokia doesn't fall asleep at the switch, they may find themselves on the profit side of the "tipping point" with the N800...
What with the money rethinking the need for a UMPC or Microsoft's fingerprints all over any other portable connectivity device.

We will all have web servers in our dang pockets soon!

Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
Not precisely news, but it's good to hear someone else is giving it a shot too.

Actually, the fact the instructions are updated is quite nice. The old ones had issues on my system. Might resurrect my (extremely hackish) attempts to get a GUI on this
Yup, IBM's WebSphere was close. I got it running on my WinMo PPC. It's old and I didn't think it was worth the effort on the N800... A GUI would be sweet BTW. Good luck with your efforts on this.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-05-11 at 21:51.

Any news on getting the Java to work?

Just watching the F1 qualifying and Räikkönen surely taking the pole and wondering if ill ever use the F1 live timing on my n800...

The Following User Says Thank You to ARock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ARock View Post
Any news on getting the Java to work?

Just watching the F1 qualifying and Räikkönen surely taking the pole and wondering if ill ever use the F1 live timing on my n800...
I used to install live-f1 on my 770, but since I have the N800 I didn't install it again. Try here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=2279

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Came across this post - "Java and the Nokia n810" at http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfalkne...nd_the_no.html

Anyone try this as yet? (I don't have a N8x0 as yet)

-Jay

Yes, I installed Jalimo on OS2007. It installed fine and the example program works, but I haven't done much else with it though.

Out of the box, it doesn't allow you to run Java applets in the Web browser (by primary purpose for try it).

Does anyone if and how to run Java applets in the brower?