Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I know there was a time when Sardine would fail to boot due to one of the startup scripts in the boot process requesting a password (duh) all because an executable (alarmd, I think) couldn't be found.

I've no idea what the problem is with these devices cr@pping out left, right and center but it really shouldn't be happening this easily - in fact, it shouldn't be happening at all.

It saddens me to see people having so many serious issues and taking N800s back to CompUSA, most likely ending up with something technically inferior but something that does at least boot.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This is just pissing me off, I would like to ask some questions.

Has anyone had problems after this has happened trying to reflash with the Linux flasher. I try to flash with Linux flasher and it hangs trying to write first block of kernel. Once this happens, you can no longer power on the device to reflash, but you can reflash using the power cord under windows, Linux will continue to hang.

Also when this happens and you start the flash utility in windows, it does not recognize your device, when I pick the update files manually, it shows upgrading IT OS 2006 to IT OS 2007. There is definetly an issue with one or both of the flash utilities it appears. But I am not positive of this, as this last time it happend to me I was not flashing, it just crashed, rebooted and dead.

Ugh!!!!

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-01-31 at 00:02.

Holy Crap, it came back.

I flashed several time and it was toast, flash hanging in linux, It just would not boot.

I flashhed under windows one last time before dinner and flash was successful, but it failed to boot. I got done eating dinner and I powered it on. just for kicks, it booted up, it actually booted up.

I have no Idea why it died or why it came back.

I am fricken bewildered!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Holy Crap, it came back.

I flashed several time and it was toast, flash hanging in linux, It just would not boot.

I flashhed under windows one last time before dinner and flash was successful, but it failed to boot. I got done eating dinner and I powered it on. just for kicks, it booted up, it actually booted up.

I have no Idea why it died or why it came back.

I am fricken bewildered!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard it was a conspiracy against you

Thanks Peter, I needed a good laugh.

Please forgive me, I just couldn't resist. Must be the cold around here, it finally decided to become winter down here and now I get to come and visit your area!

Peter do you have and N800? Did you get it at COMPUSA?

Yeah I work in Auburn Hills and Live near Flint, I am actually going to be in downtown Detroit tomorrow. Its just as cold down there as it is up here. Especially when you get around those buildings downtown, it just whips around, cold as he77

No I do not have an 800, I'm still plodding along with two 770's. I know about downtown, that's one of the area's I work, when there's work. I live in the western suburbs and I'm going to Flint tommorrow night. Dress warm, it might not be the windy city but it's cold as all h*** as you know! Be careful coming down, traffic has been a bear.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I got done eating dinner and I powered it on. just for kicks, it booted up, it actually booted up.

My N800 will fail to boot, but so far it's never failed to boot twice in a row - it only ever fails once. Typically I'll go to reboot, it will hang at "Nokia" or even just a white screen (always prior to the blue progress bar) so I then have to pop the battery and it always boots correctly on the next power on.

This, sadly, seems fairly typical for me. Maybe after you successfully reflashed it, your N800 was just being temperamental (like mine)? Fortunately I don't reboot often!

Glad you now have a functioning device - let's hope it stays that way!

Well I am glad it cleared itself up too, that means it is a recoverable issue. I wish I could determine though, why it was happening, and the exact path to recovery. I would feel much more comfortable about the device. I had my 770 for 11 months and flash and hacked and flash and never never had 1 problem. So I am hoping this gets hammered out. I am seriously to the point of not wanting to keep this device. I don't want a device that can brick itself at will, especially on the road.