Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I think there is a couple of different issues going on. I have now just toasted my second N800. Just as the first one and as this title states "boots 3 seconds and dies"
(snip)

Is there a way to unpack the entire image, mine always dies after unpacking kernel, rootfs, initfs, 2nd image dies? Is this what is needed for cold flash, would cold flash possibly fix it, i dont know. POOOOP!!!!

ANY BRAINIACS GOT ANYTHING TO TRY.
Did you try enabling/disabling R&D mode before and after flashing like I suggested? I went through the same process you did, flashing the entire thing, just the initfs, etc. Nothing fixed it until I toggled R&D mode before flashing, and then again after I flashed. Honestly I can't remember if I turned it off then flashed, then turned it back on or the other way around. The end result was it stopped the 3-second powerdown/reboot cycle when nothing else would touch it. Cold flashing is not an option since you need a serial connection to the port on the device. Sorry to hear you had to go through the hassle of replacing it.

Larry

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I did try, r n d mode enable, flash, disable, notthing, flashed every way I could think of. If I was not at day 21 on my return policy, I would have played more, but I am going to avoid Nokia repair, at all costs.

lbattraw: Did you have a reboot loop or a 3sec powerdown? From what I have seen, reboot loop is software issue, and will be fixed by flashing. 3sec powerdown is not fixed by flashing. Anybody else want to chime in here????

Its not really a problem, I just reflashed, reinstalled becomeroot, xterm, bootmenu, and booted off my mmc card, the only thing I had to do was re-pair all my bluetooth devices. since my bt mac changed - Thanks Again Fanoush, I love bootmenu...

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
I did try, r n d mode enable, flash, disable, notthing, flashed every way I could think of. If I was not at day 21 on my return policy, I would have played more, but I am going to avoid Nokia repair, at all costs.

lbattraw: Did you have a reboot loop or a 3sec powerdown? From what I have seen, reboot loop is software issue, and will be fixed by flashing. 3sec powerdown is not fixed by flashing. Anybody else want to chime in here????

Its not really a problem, I just reflashed, reinstalled becomeroot, xterm, bootmenu, and booted off my mmc card, the only thing I had to do was re-pair all my bluetooth devices. since my bt mac changed - Thanks Again Fanoush, I love bootmenu...
Actually, I saw both behaviors because if it was plugged into power it would reboot after 3 seconds. --Otherwise it would power down after 3 seconds.

Larry

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ New York City

Adam again. I can't get control unless I have the USB cable plugged into a live computer. Yep, it is flash problem. That is what you will get when you use large presistent flash along with data structures that will trash a linux box. I wish they had put a real reset button in the box. You can go into USB mode but can't jump into a monitor.

Great. I miss my old machines with a monitor builtin.

Never installed bootmenu and should have in hindsight.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
OMG

I killed another one for no apparrent reason. This one I bought yesterday, I was running, it crashed and shut down. Now its boots 3secs and dies. I have 20 days left to return, but I will probably play tonight to recover it. If I am unable to recover I will return it and not get another one. The first one lasted 7 days, the second one lasted 14 days, the third one lasted 1 day, OK, maybe about 30hours.

This is just nuts, if I new how to recover it I would probably keep it, but this is insane and Nokia support sucks, maybe I will give them a call and see what they say, but I am sure it will be send it in, which aint gonna happen.

Ugh!! I wish I knew why this was happening, I have heard of a few people with this problem, but it seems like I am special or something. 3 of these things I have killed now.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Have you removed the SD cards before booting?
Yes, there is no difference with or without the SD cards.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
These constant reboots seem to be a serious cause for concern. Whether it's being caused by end users, or is a Nokia fault I really don't know - mine is fine, touch wood - but either way, Nokia should be very concerned about these problems and act before these devices gain a damaging reputation.

Does anyone know if Nokia are aware of these reboot issues?

Along with the faulty webcam (apparently rectified, but the last I saw was brand new inside the last week, direct from Nokia Europe) and the constant reboots the QA for these devices must have been very brief. In future Nokia, don't rush devices to market just for CES, OK?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Hi,
I've encountered the same problem yesterday: my N800 was booting every 3 seconds. I've tried multiple re-flashes: no hope until I've found a solution by googling: enabling RD mode and setting the 'no-lifeguard-reset' flag. After this, I've been able to reboot normally.
Well, I wasn't aware of the busybox upgrade problem, but that's true that, as I was using RedPill mode, I've upgraded to busybox.xxx.sdk2, and today I've re-upgraded to busybox.xxx.sdk3 but the N800 is stil working well, no reboot: is this new release (ie. .sdk3) supposed to fix the problem?
Anyway, after having read this thread, I suppose that I shouldn't have downloaded and installed busybox update, right? I think I'm going to reflash tomorrow to uninstall the upgrade

If you remove the lifeguard (the watchdog), then if you lock it out, you won't be able to recover. Supertight lockup, no?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
These constant reboots seem to be a serious cause for concern. Whether it's being caused by end users, or is a Nokia fault I really don't know - mine is fine, touch wood - but either way, Nokia should be very concerned about these problems and act before these devices gain a damaging reputation.
If you are running binary apps on the Linux protected mode operating system, the OS should be able to protect the stability of the computer. You should be able to gracefully recover from a segfault but putting that GUI on top and not having a GURU monitor tell you why it segfaulted and then rebooted is so wrong. Older machines like the Amiga and even the Treo/Palm will give you a diagnostic before rebooting.

BTW, if you are using any interpretive language, this would not be happening. Good VMs usually have stable code and good default error-trapping facilities.

Oh well. Maybe I should just get my old Altair 8800 and put it in my pocket. Yes, I own one.