Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Hey got 2 questions is this going to be a yearly thing, and any chance of this coming to the US one year. I wouldn't be able to aford to fly to other side of the world but I would love to go.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Hey got 2 questions is this going to be a yearly thing, and any chance of this coming to the US one year.
I suppose that would depend where the majority of developers are - Hawaii sounds good for next year

I wouldn't be able to aford to fly to other side of the world but I would love to go.
Write some cool apps, get sponsored

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Hey got 2 questions is this going to be a yearly thing, and any chance of this coming to the US one year. I wouldn't be able to aford to fly to other side of the world but I would love to go.
Yeah, the Stateside folks need some lovin', too. We've been mostly excluded from the last two big Maemo events.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
To answer the former question, I would of thought that the answer would be decided on the success of the first summit. I see it as a yearly event though.

As for a US summit, I think most of the developers that the summit is targeting are based in Europe and the ones outside of that are/can be sponsored to attend but I'm willing to be corrected.

Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
As for a US summit, I think most of the developers that the summit is targeting are based in Europe and the ones outside of that are/can be sponsored to attend but I'm willing to be corrected.
Then corrected you will be. Only a very limited number of stateside "rockstars" (as Quim put it) could be sponsored to attend, thereby excluding the majority of stateside contributors (I could've gotten sponsorship if I had applied, so don't take this as a bitter reaction on my part from being declined, just a defense of my fellow North, South, and Central American contributors ). So, yeah, the location has a big effect on whether certain people can attend, regardless of sponsorship money.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Then corrected you will be. Only a very limited number of stateside "rockstars" (as Quim put it) could be sponsored to attend, thereby excluding the majority of stateside contributors (I could've gotten sponsorship if I had applied, so don't take this as a bitter reaction on my part from being declined, just a defense of my fellow North, South, and Central American contributors ). So, yeah, the location has a big effect on whether certain people can attend, regardless of sponsorship money.
But that was my point. If the majority of the developers and target audience of the summit are based in Europe then it makes sense to hold it there and sponsor a select few from elsewhere. I know some developers being sponsored to fly in from far off places so I think that is the case.

It would be interesting to compile a list of top maemo developers/contributors and see where they are based geographically.

Last edited by Baloo; 2008-08-27 at 19:05.

Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
But that was my point. If the majority of the developers and target audience of the summit are based in Europe then it makes sense to hold it there and sponsor a select few from elsewhere. I know some developers being sponsored to fly in from far off places so I think that is the case.

It would be interesting to compile a list of top maemo developers/contributors and see where they are based geographically.
Clearly there are contributors from elsewhere, though, (and a lot of them from South America ) even if it were a majority, it still doesn't make sense to hold ALL of the Summits in Europe. Perhaps every 3rd Summit should be held elsewhere?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Clearly there are contributors from elsewhere, though, (and a lot of them from South America ) even if it were a majority, it still doesn't make sense to hold ALL of the Summits in Europe. Perhaps every 3rd Summit should be held elsewhere?
I'm all for that, Hawaii maybe

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I vote Dallas. Or maybe Austin.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I vote Dallas. Or maybe Austin.
Hmm, Dallas, Hawaii, Dallas, Hawaii. Well, although close, I think I'd go for Hawaii

Tags
maemo.org