Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Montreal
I had this #2640 bug with my bt keyboard. I guess I did. No pairing at all; even when I have time to type the code.

I removed the folder named after the bt kbrd, in var/lib/bluetooth , as suggested. Now my keyboard (Think Outside) has a different response: its blinking light is RED. It blinks every 10 milliseconds or so, if you see what I mean. This is frightening, especially because it happened before I reflashed.... and after.

And yes, I downgraded, for this reflash, assuming that versions prior to the current one (51-3 or smtg like that) were not flawed (some said downgrading did the trick).

I miss my bt keyboard..Should I specify that it worked just fine for weeks? That, in a matters of hours, it began to stutter and respond with "qwerty"s and "asdf" before it became silent?

I was so happy to cause my bt keyboard to respond differently: I was assuming: "if it blinks red, at least it recognizes that something was changed in the Tablet. It kinda works." But now, now that it recognizes, when attempting to pair, a XX:XX:XX:XX:... address instead of "Think Outside", like before, evidently, I'm even further away from a resolution... especially considering that this happens independently of reflashes!

Now I'm wondering if there exists a "harder" reflash for the OS... or some reset button or key combination to make the bt keyboard like before. What's a reflash anyways? Could someone explain why problems remain so similar (and strange: the red led light) after a reflash??

Or maybe I could copy some files to this var/lib/bluetooth directory (filling in my own bt keyboard address where it applies), instead of a blunt delete, like I just did? Or maybe reinstall a driver? Cuz those reflashes are getting irritating (btw, I did not restore anything from previous installations)

Thanks in advance to those who read and analysed all this.

I believe in aristocracy, though---if that is the right word, and if a democrat may use it. Not an aristocracy of power…but…of the sensitive, the considerate…Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos. Thousands of them perish in obscurity, a few are great names. They are sensitive for others as well as themselves, they are considerate without being fussy, their pluck is not swankiness but the power to endure… ---E.M. Forster, "What I Believe," in TWO CHEERS FOR DEMOCRACY

Actually, I doubt most of us do, or can, see what you mean -- 100 Hz is pretty fast.

Could it be low battery warning? Is it described in the manual?

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Actually, I doubt most of us do, or can, see what you mean -- 100 Hz is pretty fast.
You're absolutely right. I used this digit to evoke a high blinking rate, beyond my ability to evaluate, and said "If you see what I mean" to allude to that. I should have been more explicit.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Could it be low battery warning? Is it described in the manual?
The manual is on a CD, and N800 users don't need those CDs to pair/"synchronize" the keyboard; the paper manual is very basic and doesn't adress such issues (If I read well).

However, I followed your suggestion more directly. My first attempt was with used batteries: no red LED light -- no light. I then tried relatively new batteries: the green LED light came back like before.
Thanks!!!

Now I'm back to the pairing problem.

Considering the price of USB female-to-female adaptors, I decided to try the USB host program with a USB keyboard, as explained in the Tablet School tutorial. I'll inform readers of the outcome. A rubber keyboard would be quite handy.

But thanks, I'm still interested in using again my bt keyboard.

I'm having a pairing problem also. When I go through the menu to the point where the 4digit code comes up, I press ok! When I do, my keyboard goes off! So I Ctrl-Fn-Fn to bring the keyboard back up, and I immediately get the message from the Nate that pariing failed.

Moreover, now when I open my keyboard, it comes on automatically. It did not do that under os2007. Also, I cannot turn it back off, except to close it???? But the Nate will not let me enter the number code. It shuts off the keyboard. And, I have taken the battries out, and put them back in, and it comes back on when I do???

Last edited by N81; 2008-05-23 at 13:57. Reason: 2 ad 2

I take back what I said about the KB not working, and all of that stuff about it behaving differently. Evidently I remember incorrectly. But, one little thing is slightly nagging: My CD is blank.

Some news about the USB keyboard.
It works; it's cheap; It's as small as a bt kbrd when not folded, which is actually convenient enough; i can eventually get another kbrd (like a rubber Targus...); if an accident happens, no problem...

Now, the problem is that the keyboard uses the battery -- have your charger cord with you.

When I want to use the keyboard on the move, I always bring the cord. Otherwise, i only carry the n800.

* My suggestion for those who are looking for an alternative to bt keyboards because of the price, the bugs or the fear of accidents while on the move. *

Cheers

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Lancashire, UK
Hi, I'm having pairing problems too. I don't even get chance to type in the passcode before I get 'pairing failed - try again?' message, it comes up immediately when I press ok on the 'pair device' box. I try typing the passscode in then but it doesn't do anything. I've looked at the other thread regarding pairing instructions and tried eveything I can think of.

Any help gratefully received

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Finland
Does anyone know if the bluetooth (keyboard) pairing bug is fixed in latest OS release? Problem, in my opinion, seems to be that the timeout delay is designated incorrectly for the pairing - 10 secs should be enough. Currently the timeout seems to be 0.1 ie. not enough to input 4 numbers and a return. (I've confirmed this bug in 2 separate N800 units running different OS versions, pre-Diablo).

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Lancashire, UK
Sorry - just tried pairing updated N800 with ThinkOutside BT keyboard and still getting less than a second to input code. Looks like we'll have to wait.