Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

Dont let that bloated Ubuntutouch win, cause of marketting hypes.

Canonical also is not using wayland/X11 for nextgen ubuntu(touch) instead they decided to make theyr own called, MIR WTF!
It is maybe only me, but I don't like what you are saing... Why you slam the Ubuntu and the Canonical so much? I personally love to use Ubuntu, very clean and nice OS. The Sailfish OS and the Ubuntu should not be at war! They are linux, so we need to pull the same rope! I personally like debian based distros more (.deb) and this is FOR ME maybe one big thing, why i may choose the Ubuntu phone over the Sailfish, but hey.. Don't you dare think i don't bye Jolla devise too!

Now i even use Google nexus 4 with android and i actually like the way 4.2.2 Android version + MiHome (miui launcher) working.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Bavaria
the more i see from sailfish os, the more i like it. i'd love to have a full functional version on my white n9 *dream on*

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
It is maybe only me, but I don't like what you are saing... Why you slam the Ubuntu and the Canonical so much? I personally love to use Ubuntu, very clean and nice OS. The Sailfish OS and the Ubuntu should not be at war! They are linux, so we need to pull the same rope! I personally like debian based distros more (.deb) and this is FOR ME maybe one big thing, why i may choose the Ubuntu phone over the Sailfish, but hey.. Don't you dare think i don't bye Jolla devise too!
That's how life goes in the open source community. Everybody has an opinion, and it is usually a very strong one.
When a community decides they want something, they will hate everything which is not that something. I can't explain it better, but infighting and splitting up to factions over small issues like this are the biggest plague of the open source world.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 491 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by abun880007 View Post
Hi All

As the current SDK sources are x86 based is anyone working on porting Sailfish to N9 or will we need to wait for arm sources or an arm image before it can be done.

Regards

abun880007

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I looked at it.

Two things;

1. Easier to wait for ARM rootfs, as it will essentially be "plug 'n' play" so to speak

2. There are no apps installed in the emulator, except for a components example so even if we did recompile the emulator to an ARM image, and get it booted on the N9/50, it is utterly useless. Spending time to do both those for a useless rootfs is well, a joke

Hit thanks if I have helped in some way, or you agree with me

Twitter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battery Widget
#OperationUnicorn
Harmoji - Emoji for Harmattan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N9 [Black] - Sailfish OS (1.x.x.xx)
N9 [White] - PR 1.3 [Stock]
N950 - Sailfish OS
Z10 LE - 10.2.1.1055
Dev Alpha C - 10.2.1.1055

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by abun880007 View Post
Hi All

As the current SDK sources are x86 based is anyone working on porting Sailfish to N9 or will we need to wait for arm sources or an arm image before it can be done.

Regards

abun880007

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
There'll never* be a fully polished port due to complications that have been discussed many times before, chunks of functionality will remain broken.
Plus it'll be done overwhelmingly by the community, Jolla will facilitate as much as they "practically" can, but only a fraction of their time/resources will go into it, understandably.
They use the N9/950 "purely" to demo the UX, they have their own hw (not Nokia's) internally on which they do more thorough testing...

*well, never say never but it's very unlikely

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-05 at 10:56. Reason: typo

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sailfish will probably be quite nice and so will ubuntu but I will take years. It's intressting follow the fan boys with mikecomputing in the front. Don't make the OS to personal

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sailfish will probably be quite nice and so will ubuntu but I will take years. It's intressting follow the fan boys with mikecomputing in the front. Don't make the OS to personal
Haha exactly why I come here, to witness rabid fanboyism in the wild

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
.deb is always slower than .rpm, and rpm5 (Mandriva based distros)is very fast!
What is rpm version of Sailfish? 4, delta or 5?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The name of the package management system escapes my mem. right now (need sleep)...
There's comprehensive comparos out there between it & deb based ones, in the end they all have the strengths/weaknesses, there's no "best one".

Originally Posted by v0id View Post
the more i see from sailfish os, the more i like it. i'd love to have a full functional version on my white n9 *dream on*
Yeah, one need only look at the status matrix for Nemo to get a sense that a fully functional version is unlikely. That's not a slight against the contributors to Nemo and Mer; they are a dedicated and extremely talented bunch. It's simply a realistic view that the hardware/driver issues will likely never be solved to make the N9 a fully-functional Sailfish device.

Sure, we've seen Jolla demonstrate the UI on the N950, but we've never seen them show calling works flawlessly, or the GPS, or whether it's using GPRS or Wifi for it's network connection. In other words, all we know is that it can run Sailfish well enough for smoke-and-mirrors, but a day-to-day device that does not make.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?