I received mine yesterday from Nokia USA (ordered online on November 15). I have barely had a chance to play around with it, but so far --

• It feels sturdy, well-made ... not particularly attractive, but it feels like it might survive an accidental drop or two.
  • The screen really is pretty nice... if you've got good eyes. The browser is capable of displaying truly tiny type legibly, if you're able to focus on it.
  • The UI is, for the most part, very intuitive and usable.
  • The included accessories seem just right ... pretty decent AC adapter, a USB cable, an extra stylus, and the handy stand (once you figure out what you're supposed to do to set it up).
  • I installed XTerm and it was totally painless and easy. I'll get some more stuff on there later.

Dislikes:
  • It does feel buggy. I've noticed various weird things, like the Shift key sticking when you try to enter text into Web forms. I had one apparent crash where the device rebooted itself, just from pushing one of the buttons while Web browsing. Presumably these things will go away over time, as new firmware releases emerge.
  • Worst of all, the WiFi is buggy. The device can't connect to the WLAN at my work, even when I give it the WEP key. It gets on the network but fails to get a valid DHCP lease, even when I'm standing right next to the AP. Too early to say whether this could be fixed with firmware updates or it's a deficiency of the internal WiFi hardware.
  • I didn't realize that there would be no way to get an IP address into the device other than using DHCP. This has not been talked about much, but presumably it makes this a device a non-starter for some people.
  • It does feel a little sluggish, which sort of surprises me. I know there are PDAs out there with 600MHz CPUs, but it's baffling that they would need that kind of power. I remember owning a 200MHz Pentium Pro with 64MB of RAM, sometime around 1996. Why can't this machine run like that one?
  • Text input really takes some getting used to. Picking at the onscreen keyboard isn't really my cup of tea, but the handwriting recognition is really more akin to Palm's Grafitti ... your normal writing will not work. You'll need to train yourself in new habits to accommodate what the 770 expects. Neither the keyboard nor the handwriting mode seems to be any faster than the other, unfortunately.

So far I'm pleased, and for the price I paid (something like $334, including tax and shipping) it seems like it's worth sticking with it to see the bugs get ironed out and new applications emerge. I'd love to see a CBR/CBZ reader for this thing, maybe with a drag-scrolling capability.

"I didn't realize that there would be no way to get an IP address into the device other than using DHCP. This has not been talked about much, but presumably it makes this a device a non-starter for some people."

You can specify an IP, it's just non-obvious:

Control Panel... Connectivity... Connections... <choose connection> & hit Edit... hit Next until you can hit the 'Advanced' button... second tab lets you specify IP & DNS.

Originally Posted by Neil McAllister
  • Worst of all, the WiFi is buggy. The device can't connect to the WLAN at my work, even when I give it the WEP key. It gets on the network but fails to get a valid DHCP lease, even when I'm standing right next to the AP. Too early to say whether this could be fixed with firmware updates or it's a deficiency of the internal WiFi hardware.
Which AP are you using ? Which WEP encryption (I mean key length) ? Also, make sure that you entered the WEP key in HEX if your AP does so.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Purchased From: CompUSA, Troy Michigan
Purchase/Arrival Date: 12-17-2005 / 12-17-2005

- I can't even begin to adequately describe how crisp the screen is. Fonts 1/2 a millimeter tall are clear enough to read at arm's length.

- The sound is decent providing you're not in a loud area

- .DEB packages are a snap to install (So far so good on the control guys!)

- The protective case and overall design of the unit is great, very useable

- Charging time is excellent! A friend (who also bought one) and I braved a Krispy Kreme (yech!) and plugged in for 20 minutes - - the charge lasted the whole way back to Toronto (3 hours) with me scanning for networks every few minutes in between Mahjongg games.

Dislikes:
- With protective case in "in use" position, pressing the directional button left isn't unobstructed.

- WLAN seemed a little but flakey but it appears as though the device is holding onto APs that I had just scanned for 30 seconds previous even though they were nowhere near us (30 seconds at highway speeds = 2-3 Kilometers)

- 770 unable to see RSMMC card while connected to the PC (access violation prevention? Heh!) Same with the computer not being able to see the 770 or vice versa.

- Handwriting recognition. I'm a sloppy writer, seems like people with "mommy writing" would excel at using this. Not me.

- Virtual KB: People use the colon a lot. It shouldn't be on the CAPS alternate layout. (I got used to this in 3 seconds though.)

Favorite apps:
Thus far I've installed GAIM, Xterm, and LXDoom. All of them installed without a hitch. GAIM is a little bit buggy in that if I try to browse for a display pic, crash. I can hit the home button to minimize most of the other open windows but 2 GAIM ones stick around. Shutdown's the only option. Display pics aren't important anyway, MSN chat worked fine.

Comments:
This is my new favourite toy. I can't wait to slip the 770 into my pocket and use it every chance I get. Browsing is exactly what it should be on a handheld. (So far anyway).

After I finally got some hands on use, I really think people need to guage their expectations. This isn't a laptop. Nokia chose their terminology carefully when they dubbed it an internet appliance. Lying in bed and browsing, streaming the sole punk radio feed I've found (it's bad), and installing some new apps all while reclined is the niche this thing will fill.

So. Will they port Open Office to it? No. That's what your lappy's for.

I wish this review was more coherent, but I'm still awestruck at this little thing. The pictures do the actual size no justice. People have small hands it seems.

Cheers,
Hedge!

owa works great. even attaching files through outlook web access works as designed.

pairing with my nokia 6820 is flawless. wifi works great.

being a crackberry addict, i do miss a scrollwheel on the 770.

Browser is cool.

Dislikes:

They claim it has IMAP - HAHAHAHAHHAHAH joke
They claim it is bluetooth compatable. I have tried paring 7 yes SEVEN different phones and no dice. - SUX

If they wanted to compete with other internet tablets, they should have went back to the drawing board. For 400 bucks there is MUCH better out there and this will be going back!

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
They claim it is bluetooth compatable. I have tried paring 7 yes SEVEN different phones and no dice.
I'm just wondering what bluetooth phones you tried to pair it with, your carrier, and if you have a data plan.

Treo 650 - Unlocked - Using Cingular
Blackberry 7100g - Tmobile
Blackberry 7250 - Nextel
Moto Rokr - Cingular
Treo 600 - Sprint
Samsung - Forget the model - Verizon
and One other

All with full unlimited data plans. I can connect every other BT device to these phones other than the 770 IE keyboards, mice, headsets, etc.

All I get from Nokia support is "uhhhhhh buy a nokia phone" Horrible tech support

From that list I think you can only use the Treo 650. The Treo 600 doesn't have bluetooth so it just wouldn't work. I'm not sure though if the Rokr has Dial up Networking support. Try the steps I created in reply to you post here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=4728#post4728

Thanks Reggie,

I did to no avail. I give up