Active Topics

Hello, I have an opportunity to buy the 770 for 100$ CAN. Is it worth it or should I buy the N800 . Is there a huge performance difference for twice the price?

Many thanks

Al

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Yes, the N800 is a lot faster than the 770.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
The 770 was great in it's time, but the N800 is faster, supports significantly more storage (2x SD/SDHC up to 16 or 32 GB each vs. 1x RS-MMC up to 2 GB), and has a larger application library than the 770. Definitely worth the price premium.

I have and enjoyed the N770, N800 and now the N810 and all are great. As you did not state what your needs are it is hard to say which is the wiser one for you. If you are tight on $ and only wish the basic (yet great) video/music/learn about the "IT" then the N770, if you also want the best all around (w/o the HE version on the N770 - e.g. skype/etc) then the "bang for the buck" wiser move would be the N800, however, the N810 is "cool" and while I find the GPS a major disappointment, yet all else a great step forward. So, if it was me - IF $ - is the top filter I would go for the N800. whichever you get they all are outstanding.

As a side note, I spent hundred of hours to get the N770 to equal the N800, and as my N82's GPS (running TomTom) is outstanding I have not spent much time on working on the N800/N810 GPS. Mostly due to it not working very well on the 7 day trial - if they gave 30 days I might have been able to get a better feel for it. Even if I was to work on getting the N800/N810 to work on Maemo Maps like the TomTom, I would STAY AWAY from Nokia's software both due to my feeling it is a ripped-off solution ($150 for lease vs $150 forever - a 3 yr auto lease is about 1/10th the cost of the auto bring the Nokia's worth $15 or tops $25 not $150) and found it poor in function compared to the easy of TomTom.

Cheers,

Last edited by here.david; 2008-03-20 at 17:28.

The N800 is a much better choice:

-much faster processor
-much more RAM
-more hardware features such as stereo speakers and two SD card slots
-still fully supported by Nokia
-it's technically identical to the N810, the latest tablet
-because it's identical you can update it to OS 2008, which is the latest version of the tablet OS

I'm new here myself, but I hope you won't me adding my input.

As everyone has already stated, it really depends on what you'll be using it for.

For basic email checking, and web browsing, a Nokia 770 for 100can is a great deal. The N770 still packs a punch, especially if you install Minimo and Claws mail. (It saved me from purchasing a N810.)

I use my N770 to edit my blog, to check other blogs, to view some forums and of course to get my gmail on the go. Not to mention listening to internet radio (Soma FM) while chilling out in the local coffee shop!

But if you want to view youtube videos easily, or use it as a portable media center, I reckon the N800 is the best bet. I had the N800 for a week, on a loan from a friend while I was considering getting one. And I have to say, it's a great device.

It all boils down to what you'll be using it as.

SOLIDUS

Not to sure where you plan on buying one, and i cant really give details, but if you are still in the price shopping mode,
check out tigerdirect.com if your in the states or tigerdirect.ca
i'm getting the 800 and it was 229.

The Following User Says Thank You to fryfly321 For This Useful Post:
One thing to bear in mind is that the N800 has been heavily discounted in many regions, and here in Finland it can actually cost less than the 770. However, you can't find the N800 or 770 easily because the N810 has taken over.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I finally got to hold an N800 last weekend and put it side by side my 770. See if you can search for comparison videos, seriously. While my 770 was coughing and wheezing trying to scroll through a web page, the N800 did it like it was a walk in the park. It even seemed bored. Then it scoffed at me.

If you want a faster, more usable, smug (grrr) tablet, get an N800. If you want it's slower younger brother that was hit by a car when he was young and can walk but not quite right but people don't say anything and just admire his stronger points, get the 770.

(It's worth the extra hundred bucks for the N800 though in my opinion.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
Sorry Hedgecore, I disagree. (Of course, it's all up to what the user needs.) For example, installing minimo onto the 770 makes the browsing experience so much smoother. (Primarily because it's more updated and more ajax friendly.)

I'll agree, the 800 (400mhz) is faster then the 770 (250mhz), but for basic web browsing (blogging) you don't need a super fast machine.

Of course, I may just be biased.