Active Topics

I believe the third device is a Nexus 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
otherwise you'd still be banging out COBOL on your Sparc mainframe.
Well, there is still a surprising number of all those powering critical infrastructure.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by djbengan View Post
Jolla would never make a 5+ device... hopefully.
Why not? Maybe not you, but lot of people now likes larger phones. I am so tempted to pick up a OnePlus One or Nexus 5. I would rather buy a Jolla since they are doing the hard work, and they deserve the money.

I think they should announce two, a 4.5 and a 5.0-5.3", phones as soon as possible.

I am so happy with Sailfish OS software, but I am ready to send them some more money if they just announce a 5"+ phone.

Now that Sailfish is beginning to run pretty good on Nexus 5 and OnePlus One, I think lot more Sailfish fans will be picking up one of them. These are all potential customers for Jolla.

So hurry up Jolla, announce your next phone(s)!!! Announce now, even if it may take six months to release it. I will wait!! I only want to wait few more months.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Anything is better than microusb...
yeah.....................................
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Does anyone else think Jolla be best served moving to the lower end with their next entry? A phone with specs not dissimilar to the current Jolla, but maybe dual SIM (it's the reason I'll have to switch away soon), a weaker front and rear-facing camera, maybe even less focus on TOH?

I mean, manufacturers seem to be more likely to go with it at least. Alcatel, Huawei, LG and ZTE have all produced Firefox OS devices, and that OS really is a mile behind Sailfish right now. We know Sailfish runs well on modest specs, so why not give it a push?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
when you play that far down the food chain, on margins per device that razor thin, how do jolla compete with £75 (not so) landfill (these days) android?

personally, i'd hate the move as I have no interest in bobbins hardware, but my prejudice aside I don't see how they achieve anything useful doing this.

my hope is for mid-range (£150-£225) to upper-midrange (£225-£300), but if they want to play in the high-end (£300+), then I would be delighted.

just important to remember what they are competing against at those price levels:

£150 = Moto G 2 (4G)
£225 = Honor 6
£300 = Huawei P8

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Ideally, they should have 2 versions. Oh, wait a minute, they can keep selling the original Jolla and make a new beefier, high end one

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
They need better specs than now. If one runs alien dalvik there is not enough memory to really multitask in Jolla 1. Using btrfs I feel 16GB internal storage is too small. If they switch to ext4 it won't be as bad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
They need better specs than now. If one runs alien dalvik there is not enough memory to really multitask in Jolla 1. Using btrfs I feel 16GB internal storage is too small. If they switch to ext4 it won't be as bad.
In the age of Nokia maps - here on N9 about 13Gb - 16GB are for masochists only, or only develope and not use as main phone like some Jolla staff. Jolla1 16Gb was not a mass product and will never be. But Jolla needs many normal users. Today there is not sailfish based product for my family. To run alien dalvik remain a must. Why not 64GB & btrfs like the parental version of my 3 year old N9? Not cheap enough?

OK - but the original Jolla can still be used fairly well. Do you need storage? Stick an SD card [and hack about with symlinks and such]. Need Android? remember to switch it off after use.... and try not to use it anyway ;-)

If you don't know how to hack about or you want android 24/7, then buy [insert here the second Jolla phone's name] at [insert here much higher price].

I would have both, of course.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2