Active Topics

Thanks for the tip, will try. Of course I always use --no-install-recommends, keeping an eye on recommended packages anyway. Unfortunately, more and more packages depend on upgraded gconf2. Will try trick with replacing.

Anyway, what about info I kindly asked for? Do we got at least ideas why it doesn't work? I'm not the kind of debian guru that can help fixing it (probably), but maybe other people interested will have a clue, and together we will be able to overcome that limitation?

The worst thing that i think about is lack of information. Neither here or on the wiki one can read what-how exactly doesn't work, and what we know about possible source of problems. My very limited knowledge doesn't give ANY ideas why new version of gconf2 can't work, for example.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The answer is fairly straightforward: Maemo uses an old version of gconf, and the problems happen when a too-new version tries to co-exist with the Maemo version.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
So, we're without any hope of fixing it for N900 by any means? I suppose replacing maemo version of gconf (backporting new) is beyond scope anyway?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Estel: I think our one hope in this area would be the CSSU. If you can propose a way to integrate newer gconf libraries without breaking existing Maemo apps, you might have a chance of getting them added.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
the N9 supposedly has a working USB OTG
where did you hear that? From what I've read, it seems that no one has any clue if that chip (can't remember which one) is present. It's the same as fm rx/tx... no clue if it exists in hardware.

My dream? To have a flashy (modern, small, powerful) linux (can support debian repos) phone that I can hook up to an HDMI monitor and a keyboard (usb or bt) and hack away happily while on the road. I travel a lot for work, and I would love to not have to bring my laptop all the time to get my vim fix.

I use the N900 as a linux-everywhere machine pretty much, i rarely ever use the phone/sms functionnality on it, so it's more like a mobile computer with 3G data for me

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Germany
Hey rebhana!

Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
I can't see anything wrong in what you did - seems to be exactly the same as I did but with the standard kernel (the wiki entry is from me). Have you tried encfs from the squeeze repository instead of the one from lenny?
Thx for that hint but it didn't help. I think i've messed my Debian configuration long time ago or it's the kernelpower47 which is incompatible with encfs. When there's time, i'm goning to reinstall Easy-Debian. I'm gona tell you...

Hello,

If you remember, I had a very bad rebooting problem with ED before a few months ago where it became unusable. I had some time recently to try out ED again with the latest 9.56 scripts. I used a fresh image v3e and there were no changes to my N900 since the previous time. Unfortunately, when installing new applications through Synaptic, my device rebooted after about 10 minutes and destroyed the ED image.

After that I played around with other areas of my N900 and here is what I have achieved. I have now been running ED with a heavy disk and cpu load for a few hours and there has been no problem. I made the following changes to my N900:

- power kernel 46
- swap on eMMC increased to 1.75G (not sure if this does anything)
- chroot is on /dev/mmcblk1p3, dedicated ext2 partition. I would have used ext4 but the maemo kernel version does not allow mounting of ext4 without a journal. I'm sure having a journal would be fine, as SD cards are very cheap now anyway
- modified the qchroot script to stop mounting /home/user inside the chroot, as this interferes with maemo settings. I can still mount MyDocs. Not sure why you would mount the Maemo /home/user inside the chroot anyway... and is this what is causing the gconf errors?

I am not going to unzip any ED image on the N900 any more, as my PC is so much faster. However, by having the entire chroot filesystem on its own microSD partition, this makes the transferring and backing up much faster. It used to take me 1 hour to transfer the 2GB image, like mscion. I now use dd if=/dev/sdc3 of=/..../debian.backup bs=262144, this takes 4 minutes to backup 2G.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
@zero That is a nice improvement in time to transfer file. The best I did was about 12 minutes. So you are better by a factor of three. Specifically, what makes the additional speed up happen?

I don't know, probably the fact that it is on a separate partition so it is not mounted and nothing else is trying to access the card at the same time.. I always run the "close debian" program before trying to copy

Oh, by the way I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but last time when my N900 was very slow and rebooting, it was in a very hot, dry and dusty house, and I also suffered reboots on my AMD PC. I tried putting the N900 in the fridge (and used ssh) but it still rebooted. Now I am in a cool and slightly more humid environment and my PC here (intel) is no longer rebooting either. Does the N900 ARM monitor its temperature the same way as a desktop processor?

Last edited by zero; 2011-06-28 at 05:21.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze