I found it strange because nearly everyone who sees me using my phone either out of boredom, browsing the web, playing games, or using my applications asks, "Where can I get that?" and I always respond, "Well, this phone requires a certain level of computer knowledge." Truthfully it does, if you have ever taken your computer to the GeekSquad to get it fixed the N900 is not for you. It is not a phone for everybody - however if you know how to use it properly (adding repos, symlinks, linux file system experence, etc.) then it is outstanding in most aspects and has plenty of applications that are MUCH better than the Fart app for the iPhone or Android.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I'm mostly worried about rootfs space. I don't have games (though I have heard about tuxfootball, Peqersi, and some others), and I would like to remove default built-in games. The only app from Ovi Store is Nokia Panorama, and it's quite good.
I have QStarDict (what's your second dictionary application?), though I need more dictionaries (not a problem), and no special translators.
I have Stellarium and Orrery.
I don't have any image-editing applications besides the default. I know, default PhotoEditing and Sketch are pathetic. But PenPen is mostly for hurried note-taking, and MyPaint is too complex with its choice of brushes, and ImageMagic isn't touch-friendly at all, it has potential, but no usable user interface. And I don't use EasyDebian.
Navigation programs: ModRana.
Camera: default (not bad), Nokia Panorama (not bad, but sometimes annoying), _no_FCam_ (have heard too much about (un)installation problems and conflicts), mbarcode.
Browsers: Fennec, MicroB, Google Chrome, no Opera.
Office type applications: mostly not needed, use Leafpad and have Vim.
Also Filebox, Copernicium, QtOctave, QRadio, VU Meter. And others.
Just too many apps. They should be optified better.
See, that's what is so great about this community - let me post some things that will assist you:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

You can symlink applications from home to MyDocs saving MASSIVE amounts of space in /home/ by using MC and DiskUseage and Stoage Useage.

My second dictionary application is MStarDict.

GIMP is in EasyDebian, but Ansel-A is amazing for quick editing on the go.

I have FCam and MBarcode (running on Titans newest kernel) and I have no errors and no desire to uninstall it. I would suggest getting it.

I have every app you mentioned, plenty of free space in RootFS and /home/

It just takes a little reading and/or knowledge.

Edit: For Preenv you can even make MyDocs executable, no need for symlinking - works great.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65730

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I found it strange because nearly everyone who sees me using my phone either out of boredom, browsing the web, playing games, or using my applications asks, "Where can I get that?" and I always respond, "Well, this phone requires a certain level of computer knowledge." Truthfully it does, if you have ever taken your computer to the GeekSquad to get it fixed the N900 is not for you. It is not a phone for everybody - however if you know how to use it properly (adding repos, symlinks, linux file system experence, etc.) then it is outstanding in most aspects and has plenty of applications that are MUCH better than the Fart app for the iPhone or Android.
You are right. If you want a phone just to have some apps that look nice, but are not useful at a lot of things then do not buy the N900, it is not the phone for you.
But if you want to do something like ssh, vnc, ftp, create scripts etc.... then the N900 is perfect.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to razzvi18 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by razzvi18 View Post
You are right. If you want a phone just to have some apps that look nice, but are not useful at a lot of things then do not buy the N900, it is not the phone for you.
But if you want to do something like ssh, vnc, ftp, create scripts etc.... then the N900 is perfect.
Well, that is not exactly what I am saying - I use VNC, FTP, SSH, etc. on my N900 - but I also use Instinctiv - it works great. I can't think of an app that the Apple App Store or Android Store has that I need that would be a deal breaker. Sure, it's a bumber we can't get Angry Birds Seasons... but we can. We can run it off Preenv or we can just make our own level packs. I simply don't understand how someone could say the N900 has a lack of 3rd party applications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
One of my favourite N900 "apps" that is not available on any other platform is the Garet VM that allows me to run my favourite classic PalmOS apps and games. There's nothing like playing Bejeweled in the classic PalmOS environment.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I have a good friend who is a 40 yo programmer/analyst and owns an iphone4. I told him he should have gotten one of these, showing off my N900, and that he should be ashamed of himself.

His response was "for me iphone is more fun. I know I can create angels with a N900 but that's my job... not my idea of fun"

I can't argue with that now can I?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
you really can't say that maemos apps are better then apples or androids.they have all emulators too and many maaaaaany nive applications and really good hd games and everday is more comming.apple has many stupid apps but maemo has them too.
angryman and many apps which just destroy your device or are just totally pointless.
if you don't want hear trolling about n900 then stop trolling about other os's.
maemo is a great os,android is it too.
offtopic:so whats with the ps2 emulator?where can i get it?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
you really can't say that maemos apps are better then apples or androids.they have all emulators too and many maaaaaany nive applications and really good hd games and everday is more comming.apple has many stupid apps but maemo has them too.
angryman and many apps which just destroy your device or are just totally pointless.
if you don't want hear trolling about n900 then stop trolling about other os's.
maemo is a great os,android is it too.
offtopic:so whats with the ps2 emulator?where can i get it?
I apologies I meant PS1, without a doubt Android is a great platform and so is iOS. But how many "Goodbye N900" threads have been on here because of the lack of 3rd party applications?

I am not trolling, I am just asking why? I don't understand what more someone would want?

And I never said any applications were better or worse than other platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I am not trolling, I am just asking why? I don't understand what more someone would want?
Well that's just it... I don't understand why there are people who are gay, but there are...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
I have a friend, that his arguments are :

"The n900 aren't a "best-seller" phone, so because that, the phone is a s**t.
A stupid argument in my opinion. The reason of that is easy; in the marketing of today, common users want a phone with 999 mpx of camera, facebook, twitter and stuff like that, and not a phone with open source, Linux OS, and the things that we all know( dual boot, etc...)

"The n900 and maemo have a lack of apps, because android market/apple store have 99999999999999 apps"
Another stupid argument. Is SOMEBODY in that planet that have already installed the 999999999 apps in their mobile? of course NOT, and while in maemo we have 10 apps for music, in the app store you can find at least 300 . There are more options? Yes, is true, but by the way, is the same: Music player.

"Oh yeah, but maemo still having a lack of apps"

Here it goes again. What the hell do you want? 9999999 apps like apple store? no thanks, i prefer almost 2000 apps , totally open source, and almost all FOR FREE, (maybe in 100 you have to pay), a "mobile" where i can install the WONDERFUL android with 9999999 apps included.

I dunno how to talk with him , because when you start to explain the things that I said above, he stops you and said "n900=s**t" without reason.
How I hate some Iphone users...

What can I do with this stupid-closemind friend? Kill him?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kralde For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest