Posts: 22 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Northern California
See mojo.handhelds.org for details, particularly this PDF.

via http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2097004728.html

Apparently Ubuntu 7.04 (two versions old, wtf?) can run in a chroot on N800 now. This will be a lot cooler if/when they get 8.04 actually booting, and running Hildon from Ubuntu Mobile.

Hopefully Nokia will abandon their half-assed proprietary distribution and start shipping a real OS!

Last edited by finite; 2008-04-19 at 02:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finite For This Useful Post:
O.k. - I'm game. I have a N800 and an extra 2Gb chip. Can anyone tell me the steps necessary to "run in CHROOT"?

There's a few threads here on running Debian on the tablets; one of them is about using it in chroot. That information is applicable. Oh, and this ain't VMS; it's chroot, not CHROOT. .

Originally Posted by finite View Post
See [URL="http://mojo.handhelds.org/"]Hopefully Nokia will abandon their half-assed proprietary distribution and start shipping a real OS!
Are you going to complain about breaking backwards compatibilty too?

There's no reason to switch to Ubuntu.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Navi For This Useful Post:
I cant wait to see this happen.

Don't go getting your panties in a bunch just yet. Just because it says ubuntu does not mean all the apps/packages/binaries you are used to using are going to work. They are Not! Each and every package will have to be recompiled for the arm architecture. Don't go thinking that you will be able to jusr grab whuchever arbitrary package and install it, because it will not work that easily.

pardon the typos
im posting this on m n800's on screen kb

eric

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Either this article or the mojo site is not very accurate - the article states that they had completed building Gutsy Gibbon, while on the site only Feisty is shown as completed and with only src packages for download.

Looks like they have more road to cover before any usable binaries are released.

Good effort though.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Wow, I ain't complaining.

I'd keep Maemo on my flash but I sure as hell wouldn't turn the idea of it being on my MMC down.

It seems I am in a dream. If nokia also releases the closed driver parts of their devices I dont want to wake up.

I guess Ubuntu will not work if a new kernel cannot read old proprietary drivers ...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
They can use the already available kernels... or release the drivers as binary.