Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
[QUOTE=Jerome;105958]Maybe this has to do with powering on when the machine is connected to the charger? When the N800 (770 too) is turned off and then connected to the charger, it powers itself on in a special mode (presumably to monitor the charging). When it boots into this mode, or gets out of this mode (because you just took the charger out), it is indeed impossible to power it on.QUOTE]
Not in my case my friend, the issue was always on battery power condition. No AC connection at all. Even, in the threads I've linked, in some cases other users can turn their N8XX on only when AC is connected.

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
I'm not sure if there are any odd circumstances about your usage but here is my procedure (although i rarely turn off)

Unplug from power
Wait 5 seconds
Quickly press-and-release power button
Select 'Switch Off' from menu
Wait at least 5 seconds before trying to turn on again
Press and hold power button until screen lights up
Wait for boot up to complete
Return to power if needed

To me your procedure seems the NORMAL way how things should work. This procedure does not work for me (N810), only sometimes it does work.

The procedure for me is:

Turn device off
Hook up the charger
Wait for the charing icon (usually after 35 sec, but I remember it being much longer too)
Leave in the charger.
Turn on

I would be very upset if i was away from home and charger and my procedure required me to plug into ac to turn on. Do you have other procedures which do not require ac?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
For me, the procedure when I wake up and my N800 is completely dead is

--go to $10 battery charger and get fully charged spare battery.

--put battery that was in dead N800 in charger

--put fully charged battery.in N800

This has never failed to solve the problem.

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
I would be very upset if i was away from home and charger and my procedure required me to plug into ac to turn on. Do you have other procedures which do not require ac?
No, the only reliable thing that works is to have a charger handy...

I also agree with another post that it must be related to "SLEEP" or "DEEP-SLEEP". The charger puts it in a mode where it responds to the on/off switch. Without the charger it is in a different mode where it does not work.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by fiepel View Post
No, the only reliable thing that works is to have a charger handy...

I also agree with another post that it must be related to "SLEEP" or "DEEP-SLEEP". The charger puts it in a mode where it responds to the on/off switch. Without the charger it is in a different mode where it does not work.
Agree 100%..complete different behavior depending the ac is plugged or not...and many times (also reported from others troubled users) the only way to turn it on again is with the charger plugged.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by akd View Post
the only way to turn it on again is with the charger plugged.
I thought about this solution too, but aint that against the first of Law of mobile device? Where on earth you get AC while walking on the street and, whatever it is, you need to turn off/on your device? To plug it in is NOT an acceptable solution.

bun

I thought about this solution too, but aint that against the first of Law of mobile device? Where on earth you get AC while walking on the street and, whatever it is, you need to turn off/on your device? To plug it in is NOT an acceptable solution.
Is not a solution at all...I'm with you.
But is the only way to get the IT back in life in some cases. The weird way of turn the IT on/off is not acceptable at all.
My big question still is: we are talking about faulty lots of N800 and N810 suffering of this or is the "normal" way to do the things?
Again, in my scenario my N800 is like a Ford model T, to get it on I need to press 8/9/10 or so times the power button....

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-08 at 21:50.

What is the current status of this issue? I can not find any definitive solution to this problem posted in this or any other forum... too bad I didn't see all these posts before I shelled out hundreds of bucks for my brand new n810 that doesn't even turn on right out of the box.

This is the first time I have seen a Nokia device NOT behave at all times. I understand this is new technology and all, but they were built in 2005 according to the stamp on the circuit board. By now I think Nokia should certainly have released some kind of statement about how to solve this problem.

Has anyone found a real solution to this problem without sending the unit in to Nokia for warranty repair?

Has anyone sent their n810 in for warranty repair because of this issue? If so, did Nokia send you back a working unit? How long did it take?

I am so frustrated about this situation... never even got to see anything but the charging screen and Battery full screen. I loved the battery full screen, it was in color! Neat.

After charging my brand new n810 fully for the first time, I unplugged the power cord and tried to turn the unit on. I have tried all the combinations listed here for battery in/out, power plugged in, button holding, multiple button click, etc. What the heck am I doing this for? I just paid a bunch of money for what is supposed to be one of the most groundbreaking and amazing devices of 2007. Please someone help calm me down, as the eBay vendor I purchased from allows returns only on unopened items. Should I just send to Nokia for 10-14 days and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience!

ochrenaut:
as words of consolation at least you have the possibility to send your IT to Nokia. I am so far from US that If I need to send mine there, I will spend more than an extra one!!
I am convinced myself to live with this forever...as I posted before, imagine if I sell my IT to someone and when the guy try to turn it on ... forget about it!