Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
I know, povocative title.

But my X ist falling apart, especially the USB Port. I wanna stay with Sailfish ...

What are your opinions?
Go get it. It's a nice device and I already love mine (switching from Xperia X).

Cheers,
Nek

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Let's be very precise! You do not want to stay with Sailfish but stay running android apps with Sailfish!
This is not fully correct - while this mainly gets lost in the discusions about updating the Android emulation layer, another thing that is neglected (and a per-requisite for updating the emulation layer) is newer kernel and drivers. These alone would fix many hardware issues people are having with the Xperia X such as unusable speaker phone mode due to broken echo cancellation or sub optimal CPU scheduling.

So it's not only about the Android emulation layer getting unusable old, but also about the (related issue) of outdated drivers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
Go get it. It's a nice device and I already love mine (switching from Xperia X).

Cheers,
Nek
I will likely be in the same boat soon - even though I think it is a mistake that Jolla does not want to update the Xperia X baseport (even due to all the lost mindshare), I will likely get a Xperia 10 for Sailfish X early next year. Early issues with the hardware adaptation will be hopefully ironed out by then.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I will likely be in the same boat soon - even though I think it is a mistake that Jolla does not want to update the Xperia X baseport (even due to all the lost mindshare), I will likely get a Xperia 10 for Sailfish X early next year. Early issues with the hardware adaptation will be hopefully ironed out by then.
Right! I took the bitter pill, but do not regret it yet. SailfishOS like Linux and open source is a hobby for me so there my money goes. OTOH you will get device encryption, an upgraded kernel and SE Linux (permissive) enabled by default you name it.

Jollas decision not to waste too much manpower into legacy hardware is quite reasonable for me. New and current users can only buy the latest device from Sony, supply of old hardware is only second hand or refurbished and not a good base to attract new users who demand the latest and greatest (middle-class) phone. I also find it positiv that Jolla chooses middle-class hardware instead of a premium device. SailfishOS is not a CPU and memory hog like Android and runs fluent even on cheaper CPU / less RAM.

Let's hope that Jolla will spend the additional manpower freed from baseport 8 for Xperia X into getting the new Xperia 10 supported completely and OS bugs ironed out which will be good for all devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post:
Jollas decision not to waste too much manpower into legacy hardware is quite reasonable for me.
I can kinda understand that as well & that this is not fully under their control due to Google & manufacturer policies. Still I'm afraid this can still make quite a few users rightfully angry due to their hardware becoming partially obsolete on the software side, something that many might have thought Sailfish OS will be able to avoid, unlike Android.

Also, to kinda add an insult to the injury, unlike being locked in place due to proprietary blobs on the N900, we have actually all the latest kernels and drivers available for the Xperia X due to the Sony open device program. It's just lack of resources on Jollas side preventing them from maintaining the two split release streams.

Well, definitely a bummer & we can only hope we will not loose too many community members due to this...

New and current users can only buy the latest device from Sony, supply of old hardware is only second hand or refurbished and not a good base to attract new users who demand the latest and greatest (middle-class) phone.
Well, a good supply of cheap second hand hardware can be a very good motivation for people to jump on board and play with Sailfish OS. Also given the license prize (something most mobile OS users are likely not used to at all), making the available hardware cheap also definitely helps, not to mention being able to installing the trial version (I think that is still available ?) avoiding the license prize at all initially.

But this only works if the supported second hand hardware is reasonably supported by Sailfish OS - people finding out only afterwards that their second hand Sailfish OS phone is not really that much supported & the might need to spend more money for a new one might yet again not paint the best image.

Oh well, hopefully one day mobile device can finally work like modern laptops - with generic distro images & mainline kernels and all this per device and per device baseport version support nonsense is a thing of the past. :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Dec 2015 @ Spain
I have the Xperia 10 Plus since some days ago and I definitely fell in love with this phone.

Sailfish looks absolutely gorgeous on this device!
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
But my X ist falling apart, especially the USB Port.
The USB port is a separate module with a cable: it's dead simple to replace, no need for any soldering.

You can do it under warranty if you still have it.
Other wise it's not extremely hard to look at iFixit and do it yourself.

(Would make a nice backup device to fall-back to Android, for the few apps that don't work on your Aliendalvik + microG. E.g.: direct bluetooth access).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
I've had a 10 (not plus) for a day or so, and I prefer the screen from the X (more saturated colors). The fingerprint reader is fun but I can't see myself using for long (my model X did not have one). And I have my doubts the Android update will solve my networking/data switching issues (Signal already seems problematic, and I need this app). And the network switching problem was my biggest wish for improvement. But the price was low enough I can live with. I like the 64GB internal storage. Hate the USB C. Can't yet find a minimal bumper case for it. The 16:9 screen is a bit awkward. Nothing amazing, nothing awful.
How does one use the two back cameras anyway (in Sailfish)?

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
My 10 is here and working happily. Not too major issues with it and I'm happy, since XA2 Plus was built like a brick.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I've had a 10 (not plus) for a day or so, and I prefer the screen from the X (more saturated colors). The fingerprint reader is fun but I can't see myself using for long (my model X did not have one). And I have my doubts the Android update will solve my networking/data switching issues (Signal already seems problematic, and I need this app). And the network switching problem was my biggest wish for improvement. But the price was low enough I can live with. I like the 64GB internal storage. Hate the USB C. Can't yet find a minimal bumper case for it. The 16:9 screen is a bit awkward. Nothing amazing, nothing awful.
How does one use the two back cameras anyway (in Sailfish)?
You can't use the two cameras at the moment - only one of them - the normal one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: