Sorry, I'm not very coherent today.

If you just want to connect to your home network, you don't need the workaround or the gateway lines.

If you want OpenVPN to take over the default route, you need route-gateway and redirect-gateway. You also need to use either the workaround or the applet.

Last edited by Nazrax; 2010-06-21 at 19:30.

Answer to simple side issue question on this link, will really help me.

Will the N900 function as a WiFi connected PDA without any sim card or cell phone service?

My PDA died and I am looking for a replacement. I do not want phone service and the cost thereof. N900 looks like it will function like an HP iPAQ 110/210 or iPod Touch, but be better with great expansion capabilility if I need it.

I really would appreciate getting the answer to this question.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by CyberDec View Post
Will the N900 function as a WiFi connected PDA without any sim card or cell phone service?
yes it does

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by CyberDec View Post
Yes, though with the original firmware at least, there were two known issues:
  • Due to a bug, battery life was slightly worse with no SIM than with one. That's likely been fixed in later firmware, but I've not seen confirmation of that.
  • Nokia Messaging could not be set up. I don't expect that's changed, but the email application works the same as with a SIM otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll have a small, white SIM icon with a red line through it in your status area all the time. If it bothers you, you can likely replace that icon with a blank one easily enough, though I haven't investigated that.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-06-21 at 20:40.

Thank you for the replys. It appears I can use it without the phone service, but, I detected another question possibly, can the phone be upgraded via wifi or is a phone service needed. Sorry about a second question. I'm a complete newbie, old, but totally new to the smart phones.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
CyberDec, the N900 updates via WiFi, no need for a data plan if you don't want one.

Actually, I still use my N900 without dataplan (I have WiFi available almost everywhere I go), however I do have a T-mobile prepaid. For about $90 (if you look out for an offer) you can use the N900 as a cell phone (gives you 1000 minutes and is valid for 12 months). This is for the US.

CBeam that is good news on the WiFi updating and the $90 looks very good also.

How do you avoid T-mobile switching you to a data plan with the N900? I have read all the posts on a number of threads on this forum and they indicate this is a problem unless you go through switching or registering as an old simple Nokia phone.

Also, I have read that using things such as GPS and it loses or cannot find a signal, it will switch to Cellular automatically which could trigger T-mobile about the need for data service. I have also read that the N900 can be set for WiFi only on some functions which would avoid this problem. Is this correct?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Nazrax View Post
My general plan is to stay on payg unless I need data, so the VPN won't be an option most of the time. I'd prefer not to have to switch the APN back and forth when I do need data (though I guess if I'm already going to the trouble of changing my plan, changing my apn isn't a huge deal). Anyone else run into this? Any solutions?
You could use fAPN to setup additonal APN's to avoid having to change APN info for each connection type. Then you just need to select epc APN for garden, hiptop APN for VPN.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
You could use fAPN to setup additonal APN's to avoid having to change APN info for each connection type. Then you just need to select epc APN for garden, hiptop APN for VPN.
Perfect. It's probably possible to get it working with epc - but this is just so much easier.

Originally Posted by asasan View Post
I cannot use DialCentral to make GoogleVoice calls.
Using WiFi it works, but when on t-mobile 3G instead of logging in, DialCentral always says https://www.google.com/voice/m is not accessible.
Anyone using GV with t-mob + Tor? Any suggestions?
Having the same issue. Do you have a fix now?

Thanks,
J

N900, PR 1.2; GV with sipgate number linked