Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Circular spinners are way overused. Let's be different!
Part of the reason they are so often used is that they are easily designed and easily performant. If something is a simple circle, you can load a graphic (or design an effect/shader) and simply rotate it.

If it's more involved (like the suggestion a few posts up), you generally either have to do horrible crap like qt-components did and load each frame of the image in sequence based on a timer, or load an animated image, or something. Neither are really appealing options.

*edit* especially considering Qt 5.2 has the capability to run animations that are simplistic enough entirely on the render thread: http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/q...-animator.html

Last edited by w00t; 2013-10-24 at 21:29.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I wouldn't imagine that using colorAnimation on 4 standard qml Rectangles would be less performant than loading an image and rotating it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I wouldn't imagine that using colorAnimation on 4 standard qml Rectangles would be less performant than loading an image and rotating it.
I didn't say it wasn't, although creating four rectangles (and four animations) plus bindings and property settings between them is a lot more work, but then we're talking on a rather minute-level, and for a component like a busy indicator, that sort of consideration doesn't matter. On the other hand, if you're working on something like Label, where a bad property binding can be the difference between 0.x ms and 2ms to create a single Label -- that sort of thing does matter when you're creating tens or hundreds of them in a typical application, or while panning.

I'm not drawing direct comparisons here, I'm just noting that performance is (or should always be) a concern when designing something. Otherwise you end up with compromises somewhere further down the line (precreating, caching, prestarting applications, or just being slow...)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Việt Nam
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Original Glacier UI mockup is done by hurrian.
First mockup by hurrian:
http://play.qwazix.com/grog/wp-conte...7/SystemUI.png
I really like this mockup. I hate flat GUI.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hongquan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
I wish These Kinda UI Come to Nokia N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seanmcken For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by hongquan View Post
I really like this mockup. I hate flat GUI.
It seems different people perceive flat in different ways. This mockup is flat in my eyes (or at least, almost flat).

Nevertheless I'm glad you like it.

P.S. non-flat by my standards:

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
The best thing about this UI is that it is all black as default. Just like N900. I hate all these extremely bright UI as in iOS and Android. Even at lowest brightness. Hurts my eyes.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
i have an idea about multi tasking
to close an app user should just tap and hold on a minimized app
and to close all apps, after holding a finder for a longer time, a dialogue would appear asking whether to close all the apps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serj111213 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by serj111213 View Post
i have an idea about multi tasking
to close an app user should just tap and hold on a minimized app
and to close all apps, after holding a finder for a longer time, a dialogue would appear asking whether to close all the apps
Let's refine that, because some apps might actually benefit from that in such an app view:
- tap and hold on the top left or right corner of the app in the multi-tasking view and it will close
- tap and hold anywhere else on the app window and get options for other stuff (refresh view, look for updates, answer/reject, play/pause/next/previous, capture app screenshot, send/share, etc.)
- tap and hold on any spaces in between the app windows and get the prompt to refresh all, close all, delete apps, and backup

Nice idea. Appreciate an ability to think through it and see what else is there.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
no, I haven't.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
glacierui, nemo mobile