Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I presume its "Shell" avatar? Those are trickier to do. Possible, but requires more work, including handling of avatars. Maybe later...
yes it is a "shell gas station, avatar" and the end i just showing possible features to include in the futures releases, take ur time. but avatar also could be integrated initially in "points of interest" list page. would be nice too i guess.
and yes edit poi in poi-list-page it much easy.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-09-03 at 18:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
@rinigus Incredible job with the app, kudos.

I would have just one suggestion - would you consider leaving some fixed, large enough window for submissions? Designing an icon that would adhere to the name of the app in its purity is not an overnight thing and there are many talented people in this forum. I wanted to contribute myself to the app icon selection, but did not make it to be the first one to submit and it was too late by then.

It would also make sense to handle contributions through pull requests - SVGs are well versionable and people could build upon each other's designs.
Thank you for wanting to help. At that time of fork, it all came rather unexpectedly and, in the end, it comes to availability of talented people wishing to contribute. @Fellfrosch did an excellent job and I am happy that we could roll out the fork that fast and focus on making it better.

I agree, SVGs with Github PRs should help us nicely to move forward.

As for timing, I don't mind having longer timeframes with icons. Just let's be careful with wasting valuable time of all those who can make this OS better. When multiple people work on parallel designs, we have some work wasted, don't we? If you and @Fellfrosch would like it, we can look at the possible designs in 2 weeks. Would that be OK?

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I definitely would stay with Osmo's icons, they are indeed quite nice. Simpelst way would be to just switch the colour (maybe a darker blue or a nice red). Red would also work for night mode. Or we work with outlined Icons that would also work for different backgrounds. What are your preferences? Shall I just upload something on github?
I haven't had any issues with looking on normal pointer in the absence of navigation route. So, it will depend on whether we keep the same normal positioning icon or not.

As for preferences, I don't have any at this moment, sorry.

In general, artistic touch is probably needed in many places. We can now style navigation route color, POIs, position icons for each map (Mapbox Street, OSM Scout Car, ...) separately. So, we don't actually have to have icons working for many styles. But then we would probably need sed script to swap the colors on icons when generating them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
In general, artistic touch is probably needed in many places. We can now style navigation route color, POIs, position icons for each map (Mapbox Street, OSM Scout Car, ...) separately. So, we don't actually have to have icons working for many styles. But then we would probably need sed script to swap the colors on icons when generating them.
Do you really think it makes sense to make icons with different colours for every map style. For me it sounds more reasonable to choose icons which work for any mapstyle. Just to keep it lean and simple.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
yes i agree with @nodevel this was to fast to choose the icon, although this icon was quick necessary for the development of fork. but imho i still not undestand why do a hole in the center of the icon when in background exist a import picture(world), now look like a donut-maps. again imho i think that without the hole would have looked better, i want to say that @fellfrosch did nice work, i liked the first icon for it. please please not getting angry with me i just saying.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Do you really think it makes sense to make icons with different colours for every map style. For me it sounds more reasonable to choose icons which work for any mapstyle. Just to keep it lean and simple.
No, I don't think it has to be tuned for each of the styles. But, I would think that night/day maps could be different.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Hep

I hope everyone forget icons for, let's say, for a month?

Let @rinigus to do the best to the main thing... fix few problems and add new features... Ok?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
Hep

I hope everyone forget icons for, let's say, for a month?

Let @rinigus to do the best to the main thing... fix few problems and add new features... Ok?
thanks! I just started it myself, so its only me to blame. OK, let's deal with the bugs

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
but imho i still not undestand why do a hole in the center of the icon when in background exist a import picture(world), now look like a donut-maps.
It's not a hole in the center but the direction marker (designed by Osmo for WhoGo Maps), overlaying a globe. A Suggestion by @Txus, which i found not that good at the beginning, but now I definitely like it.

And to be honest we shouldn't depart to far from Osmo's work (a further reason why I wouldn't make a complete redisign of the Icons inside the application). Not only to honor his fantastic work but also to ensure that he still feels home on this project so there is a chance at some time that he will return to work on it again.

Anyway, maybe the easiest way would be to change the name of the app to Donut Maps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
And to be honest we shouldn't depart to far from Osmo's work (a further reason why I wouldn't make a complete redisign of the Icons inside the application). Not only to honor his fantastic work but also to ensure that he still feels home on this project so there is a chance at some time that he will return to work on it again.
My sentiments exactly!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
yes i definitely agree with you in honor at the creater, but is not bad to send the icon to review-department to check what going on
thanks @otsaloma, main developer.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-09-03 at 20:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post: