Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Why did Mark Shuttleworth need a $32 million goal for crowd sourcing an Ubuntu phone and Marc Dillion needed only a $380,000 goal to crowd source the Jolla Tablet?

While this is a serious question, feel free to think of this as a joke that you can provide the punchline to!
From reddit:

Well the reason why Canonical asked for tens of millions of dollars is because they wanted to do a full manufacture of Ubuntu phones. This they are more than likely doing something very different. A full manufacturing cycle does cost millions but because they are making more they actually cost less per unit.
So similarly its how tesco can afford to have so many own brand stuff because they do full cycles and ship them only to their own stores. It keeps costs low because they are doing bulk and that allows for a certain amount of failure and thus allows for less than half of something to be sold to make a profit on it.
With Ubuntu phone they were obviously starting from the ground up and a lot of the technology they were using was new at the time, not new now since Apple picked up the screens and the batteries are getting into new phones soon ish. It would have also paid for them to speed up development a bit on the phone so they could get the showstopper features in there like the convergence stuff.
All that being said if you think the Ubuntu phone indiegogo wasn't anything more than an attempt to gain some publicity for free you are pretty stupid. Other than that it gave them a lot of info about who to actually target with their first phones and that is not the 400 dollar market but slightly lower than that between 200 and at max 400. And all the indications the BQ phone is the cheaper side of that spectrum and the Maizu phone is slightly more expensive but still not pushing past 400.

The Following User Says Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I don't even much care about tablets, but I invested for a good cause!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Some stuff from finnish news. http://yle.fi/uutiset/jolla_haluaa_n...medium=twitter

-Only couple of tablet prototypes in existence right now.
-Jolla would gladly see Nokia devices with Sailfish OS, if Nokia wanted use their OS
-Considers Asian partners more likely

+Some more usual marketing crap.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
YLE has interviewed Antti Saarnio (in Finnish): http://yle.fi/uutiset/jolla_haluaa_n...tyohon/7638960

Edit: Beaten by few seconds...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Btw guys, do you think the name would be a problem? I'm one of the first 1000 crowdfunders but I forgot to add shipping. So I just did. Jolla says it's no problem. But for some reason, IndieGogo decided to leave out my last name when funding the tablet while the shipping perk does mention my last name.

So it's like this:
tablet funding - will ship to Heimen, -address-xyz-
shipping perk - will shop to Heimen Stoffels, -address-xyz-

I did put in my correct address in both the tablet funding and shipping perk though. So will the name matter or will they ship it nonetheless since my address is correct in both?

(and yes, that's my real name, no I do not care that I put it in public here)

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
If there are already prototypes, that's quite nice.

Nokia wasn't brave enough in the past to focus on maemo/meego and I fear they will not be in future to perch on a small OS like Sailfish.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Btw guys, do you think the name would be a problem? I'm one of the first 1000 crowdfunders but I forgot to add shipping. So I just did. Jolla says it's no problem. But for some reason, IndieGogo decided to leave out my last name when funding the tablet while the shipping perk does mention my last name.

So it's like this:
tablet funding - will ship to Heimen, -address-xyz-
shipping perk - will shop to Heimen Stoffels, -address-xyz-

I did put in my correct address in both the tablet funding and shipping perk though. So will the name matter or will they ship it nonetheless since my address is correct in both?

(and yes, that's my real name, no I do not care that I put it in public here)
I've also forgotten the shipping. But the shipping address is identical to the first perk.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Thats weird, I didn't pay for the Shipping, but it accepted my payment for the perk.
Can I still pay for it? Does anyone know about this?

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed the "$20 shipping perk"

Read the FAQ

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Thats weird, I didn't pay for the Shipping, but it accepted my payment for the perk.
Can I still pay for it? Does anyone know about this?

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed the "$20 shipping perk"
It's mentioned on the FAQ. Just order the shipping perk and use exactly the same shipping address.

Tags
bulks