Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Moto Z keyboard Mod hits Indiegogo for $60 (early bird), along with other potential Moto Mods
03/05/2017 at 10:35 AM by Brad Linder
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Edit: Found https://developer.motorola.com/explore/firmware. The SailfishOS software will probably need to talk to "Greybus" interface then, unless keyboard is exposed as proper HID device by kernel.
For information, Greybus is now part of the Linux kernel, but only very recently, with the release of Linux 4.9 in last December :
https://www.linux.com/news/linux-ker...t-release-ever

So depending of the linux kernel available for the Moto X (which will probably be older than 4.9) and if the greybus code used for the android version is available in their repository, the job will be to backport some of this to the older kernel, or adding a dedicated kernel driver with minimal greybus-to-keyboard handling code. Not sure of the difficulty of doing this, but probably not a plug and play thing.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2017 @ France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The other challenge will be to transfer the Moto Mods platform across OS... At lease for the keyboard!
Well, tell us more about how the mod is designed !
From the first figure in https://developer.motorola.com/explo...m-architecture I can see USB3 and USB2/myDP do not pass through the MuC (I assume Greybus is between the phone and the MuC). From your own video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LChJXj2Dw I see you are using a regular USB keyboard, so I hope you just tap to those exposed USB pins, which is the same result as if you would plug it in the USB-C connector. If it is the case, support across OS doesn't seem too complicated...

Or did you add (yet another) micro that hosts the keyboard, converts to I2C/UART, sends to the MuC ? Sounds like pure madness.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dvogel For This Useful Post:
I don't know which interfaced was chosen but the HID interface was probably chosen as the firmware already exists.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
a quarter is reached!

lets hope for some news sites picking up the story this week. I compiled some emails to heise.de, golem.de and others to raise awareness.

Edit, golem did an early mention a week ago
Attached Images

Last edited by mosen; 2017-03-07 at 20:32.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
a quarter is reached!

lets hope for some news sites picking up the story this week. I compiled some emails to heise.de, golem.de and others to raise awareness.

Edit, golem did an early mention a week ago
Thank you Mosen! By today our campaign was #1 in terms of funding pledged!

I am so busy these days with all the engineering aspects. Even with a slider part (which I updated today) a lot of jobs involved with the component supplier, all goes into details! But we will manage!

And hopefully by later this month we have the 1st working prototype, I will try to do something big to attract more attentions (keep that secret for now

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
I was chose as one of the final winner to give presentation at Moto headquarter... Too unreal to believe...

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I did my best to keep the battery!

To maintain a proper and reasonable thickness the battery will be around 1500mAh, but it's better than not having any at all.

I hope pichlo is satisfied....
Attached Images

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
What happens if you won't reach the 100k goal?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love