Hi so I just cut open a 4g and it will work perfectly fine?Thanks!!

Originally Posted by jld View Post
Hi so I just cut open a 4g and it will work perfectly fine?Thanks!!
Which 4GB SD Card did you use? I would like to buy a card and try opening it as well. Thanks!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
anyone else bought a regular SD card, and chopped it down to fit? now that they're become quite cheap, it's not such an expensive proposition!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I just discovered this: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11141

put an SD card into an RS-MMC slot. snag is, the SD card would stick out from your 770 by a very long way!

--edit-- sorry, guys, I got confused between miniSD and mini/rs- MMC. the following article might be of interest.
http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?...3&hl=menagerie

Last edited by speculatrix; 2008-11-13 at 12:46. Reason: completely wrong, sorry.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post

put an SD card into an RS-MMC slot. snag is, the SD card would stick out from your 770 by a very long way!
It also won't recognize that card, unless you perform surgery on your 770; the card door has a magnetic switch.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
anyone else bought a regular SD card, and chopped it down to fit? now that they're become quite cheap, it's not such an expensive proposition!
Ideal material for such experiment is sandisk plus line but why not to use microSD with at least two easy solutions documented here (3 in 1 adapter from DX or ready made 8GB card from craves1) ?

Looks like it is for miniSD not RS-MMC. It won't fit. They are different.

RS-MMC has same width as SD or full MMC so you can fit card directly without any adapter. It will stick out however. Also SD is a bit thicker so either you need to push hard or make it a bit thinner. Or use MMCplus cards, they are same size as SD except thinner.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
It also won't recognize that card, unless you perform surgery on your 770; the card door has a magnetic switch.
Or unless you comment out 2 lines in kernel source :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-11-13 at 08:19.

I just did that and it worked great!

I got a 4GB Transcend SDHC Class 6 memory card. It was $10 from Amazon with free shipping (with a $25 purchase. We bought other stuff too :-) ).

Just got it.

Clipped off one side carefully so I could separate the card. It was half height inside. So I took off the front (with the label and the contact grooves) and cut the back in half.
(I haven't glue'd the back on yet, so it's just loose, but that's next. )

I plugged it in, powered it on, and there's memory. 3.71GB according to the Memory card tab of the Memory applet.

It was that easy!!!

Now, let's see if I can get the card back out (since I didn't glue that piece in) and then glue the cover of the card (the lower half of the back) back on. :-)

desiv

Well, so far so good.
The card is still working and I can read/write to/from it without any problems.

It isn't a perfect fit. I was looking at it, and its a bit thinner (wrong word, it's a bit shorter side to side) and a bit shorter now (top to bottom). The actual thickness is about the same, maybe a tad less, but close with the back on.
As it is, when I slide it into the slot, I'm not sure it "clicks" properly and its in at a slight angle, I think because it's a bit less wide. And its tricky, but not "that" hard to remove it.

I'll look at possibly adding a bit more plastic to get it to be the same size as an old MMC.

But, for $10 and 5 minutes to get 4G... Not too shabby. :-)
I suppose, now that I know that the card is half height, I could start with another card and just cut the top off to the correct height and then dremmel it down to fit, rather than taking it all apart and trying to put it back together. :-)

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 2008-11-18 at 18:36.

I wanted to try this with an 8GB card. I got a pqi SD card for a decent price, but it had two chips in it.

Anybody know of an 8GB card with only one chip?

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
Is anyone buying cheap SDHC cards this Xmas to try chopping them to cram into their 770?

Addendum:
Picked up a 4gb sdhc patriot card #PSF4GSDHC6 for $9. Sliced open a crack in the shell and it was a full sized card.

Last edited by Tweak; 2008-12-28 at 07:36.