Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
I need some help, please!

OK, I used to have a 770 cloned using the whole process in the Wiki and on the forum and had no problems (except for a bad download, but that wasn't me causing that). My daughter destroyed my 770, and finally, I got a n800 (because of the spiffy FM radio tuner) and a 2GB Sandisk SD card.

So I'm following the instructions about creating a partition in the Wiki, and after I'm down and ready to mount the partitions, I get "card is corrupted or unformatted" error messages. Now, Sandisk isn't under the posts about some cards needing low level formatting as it seems no one uses them. Am I to assume that this message means that my card needs formatting then or is it just a bad card? (I don't have a card reader, so I can't just pop it into my PC and format the card, so I'd rather it be a bad card so I can exchange it.)

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
penguin on the telly,

I used a Sandisk Extreme III 4GB, but I formatted it first with the Panasonic software (Google this forum and you'll find it). I didn't know if I was supposed to or not, it's just the first thing I did. Then I formatted it for FAT, if I remember right, in my card reader on my Windows laptop. And then I went through the rest of the process. I don't know if I had to do that stuff first or not, to tell you the truth.

Well, it looks like I'll have to get a card reader then. Anyone know where I can get a cheap one?

Also, out of curiosity, my old RS-MMC (1G) which was used for the OS clone on the 770...is there a card reader for those so I can reformat it (to put MP3s or ROMs on it)?

Too bad I can't format these cards using the device.

Last edited by thepenguinonthetelly; 2008-03-04 at 22:39.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by thepenguinonthetelly View Post
Well, it looks like I'll have to get a card reader then. Anyone know where I can get a cheap one?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...885#post148885, thread #7

bun

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Please go easy on me as I'm a total noob to all things Linux.
I just got a N800 from ebay & been loving using it adding all sorts of apps etc. However I've run out of memory space

After going through this & other relevant threads I decded to go for it. Anyway I'm stuck. Here's what I've done so far

- Updated to OS2008
- Installed OpenSSH
- Opened Xterm
- ssh root@localhost
- entered password
- # apt-get install e2fsprogs

That's it. After I enter the above command all I get the following response

Package e2fsprogs is not available but is referred to by another package.
This may mean the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
E: Package e2fsprogs has no installation candidate

I've reflashed & reformtted the sd card tried 3 ohers & thats as far as I an get.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong or have I missed something. Help is much appreciated thanks

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
you need to add a new pkg repository: http://repository.maemo.org, I believe.

If you don't know quite how to do that, shout and I'll add more detail.

Originally Posted by cdmackay View Post
you need to add a new pkg repository: http://repository.maemo.org, I believe.

If you don't know quite how to do that, shout and I'll add more detail.
Please do......I've tried and its not very clear to me

I've given up spent most of last night going through threads here & googling but non the wiser. I'm gonna sell this thing & get an Archos 605 which is much more consumer friendly.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
that's a shame, since the Nokia is a much better device, and the support in these forums is very useful.