Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Since it's the exchange support, autocorrect component and android support that come with the paid Sailfish X, my hypothesis was that one or more of these were subject to being licensed for distribution by the IP owner in certain areas only, the UK perhaps no longer in the EU and thus not in a covered area. I've got no special knowledge, but I doubt that Jolla wants to impose restrictions keeping Sailfish X (technically) out of such places as the US and UK, and I doubt that the EU is concerned about distribution due to weaponization(?!) of spellcheck or something like that. The answer is probably just boring and annoying.

But like I said, I do want Jolla to get paid, so once again "music" wins the day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Publicglutton View Post
I asked the Jolla team directedly and their response was.....

"
Unfortunately it is no longer possible to purchase a Sailfish X licence in the UK due to Brexit.
"
I guess that's because of the bureaucracy imposed due to brexit which is still not clarified yet, e.g. import taxes, customs, and VAT recalculation, maybe licensing regulation issues too? For small business such overhead might be prohibited, I hope things will be resolved soon?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by clort View Post
All your misunderstandings can be cleared up by studying real economics at mises.org.
"Misunderstandings." A good one.

Let me explain it to you in the simplest terms imaginable.

Situation:
Tariffs and non-tariff trade bariers between different markets exist. Feel free to call them politics.

Some magic unicorn, free-market, libertarian solution:
Trade barriers magically disappear. But only for me. So I can freely export to other markets, but others wanting to enter my market and compete with me better not even try. Most importantly, all of this happens just because I wish for it. I do not need to do anything: not accept or even consider the other guy's terms and absolutely no compromise.

Real world solution:
Contries X and Y get together and discuss: "Aren't you fed up with all these politics of international trade? Why don't we get rid of them? Let's agree on certain common rules and remove differences between our markets, thus creating a Single Market™. Of course it means both of us will have to give something as well as take but it will be worth it. A country Z can either join us or remain a Third Country™, with all the politics still applying to them like it always used to."

Over time, 2 countries grow to 28. Then one decides to leave and acts surprised to find itself in the position of country Z.
Like I said before, it was too easy to take your luck and privilege for granted and forget to give credit where credit was due.

Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Ironically Fairphone has no reservations still trading with UK.
What is ironic about that? Like I said before, each business has a choice. Is trading outside of our own market worth the hassle? Can we be bothered to set up systems to deal with the politics? Or do we only trade in the market where we do not have to think about it?

Fairphone clearly decided it was worth it. They did it years ago. They had two files - "do not have to deal with politics" and "have to deal with politics" - and systems to deal with them. For them, Brexit was hardly any change. It was simply moving one country from one file to the other.

Jolla, on the other hand, only ever had the "do not have to deal with politics" file. Their choice was either to create the other one (and employ someone to deal with it, with all the extra costs it entails) or, with a sigh, rip a page from the only file they had and throw it away.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Fairphone clearly decided it was worth it.
Clearly, I was wrong: "At the moment, we ship to all countries of the EU, Norway, and Switzerland."
(https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-...cles/202005103)

In other words. they also only have one file: the one labeled, "do not have to deal with politics".

Most likely, they simply have not removed the UK from the list yet because no one is maintaining their website. Out of date info on companies' websites is not all that rare. They still list Maplin as a local distributor, for crying out loud. Maplin went out of business in 2018.

Try to actually order from them and see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Try to actually order from them and see.
Ordered an infamous bottom module upon 19/03/21 which UPS supposed to deliver today, but now re-scheduled for 01/04/21 as not yet left The Netherlands for the UK so watch this space.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Ordered an infamous bottom module upon 19/03/21 which UPS supposed to deliver today, but now re-scheduled for 01/04/21 as not yet left The Netherlands for the UK so watch this space.
That could be interesting. I keep hearing horror stories about failed deliveries to the UK due to new customs arrangements.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester

Out of date info on companies' websites is not all that rare. They still list Maplin as a local distributor, for crying out loud. Maplin went out of business in 2018.

Small point of order, Maplin is back up and running (at least online), and you can indeed buy the FP here https://www.maplin.co.uk/fairphone-3...-8718819372073

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
That could be interesting. I keep hearing horror stories about failed deliveries to the UK due to new customs arrangements.
Well bottom module arrived today eventually although below VAT threshold so should not have been an issue. However another motor part above threshold from Netherlands was returned to sender by PostNL, so couldn't say lost in transit so I was refunded without issue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:

Tags
availability, sailfish x