Posts: 12 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Toronto
I am using OS2008 to run some console applications. I have no need for the GUI and would like to know if I can configure OS2008 to boot up without the GUI.

I want to get rid of the GUI not just to preserve resources, but also because the GUI is interfering with my application. For example, it seems that something (presumably a component in the GUI) is controlling the bluetooth.

Looks like runlevel 2 is default in /etc/inittab

You could try removing the symlinks from /etc/rc2.d for the parts you don't need...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
No idea about booting but you can switch to a pure console afterwards using chvt and fanoush's fb_update_mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Is it even running a getty on the console? Nokia's stripped out a lot of basic linux-y stuff to save space...

Or run a different window manager and don't use hildon-desktop.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Is it even running a getty on the console? Nokia's stripped out a lot of basic linux-y stuff to save space...
Busybox has getty defined, you can start a getty manually.

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post

You could try removing the symlinks from /etc/rc2.d for the parts you don't need...
Thanks. I'm fairly new to this and I think I would have a hard time picking the right items to remove (without messing things up). Is it safer to remove the entire level - ie. does runlevel 2 equate to the GUI so I could get rid of the entire level?

I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post

Thanks. I'm fairly new to this and I think I would have a hard time picking the right items to remove (without messing things up). Is it safer to remove the entire level - ie. does runlevel 2 equate to the GUI so I could get rid of the entire level?

I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.