Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Only $4.99 after $20 rebate for Acronis True Image at NewEgg. This is what I use to backup my cloned SD cards in Windows. Search the forum for Acronis for more info. I wish I'd gotten mine for only $5!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
You can also use partimage in ubuntu (or other unix) to backup ext2/ext3 partition. This is totally free

The Following User Says Thank You to pton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by pton View Post
You can also use partimage in ubuntu (or other unix) to backup ext2/ext3 partition. This is totally free
More details please, like how does it work when image back to the tablet?

TIA,

bun

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
Not related to tablets, but if anyone wants a full-system backup app this is a great one to get.

They just released their 2009 edition (instead of calling it version 12).

Not too much different from the version 11.
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/su...articles/1003/

I had this for my XP desktop before I bought a separate laptop and it's an excellent backup program. I think I was using version 9 before they split the product line into a Home and non-home edition. My youngest brother gave them a full endorsement after having brought his PC back to life more than once with its backups.

I'm not liking my Lenovo Thinkpad's current built-in backup program. It seems to work but it's much harder than it should be to figure out what was backed up to the USB drive and when. Most of the time it doesn't seem to notice if there are any backups on the drive yet.

TrueImage puts its files in plain view, lets you write a boot disc to restore from, and so on. The Lenovo app I have hides its data on the drive which is pretty dumb.

Partimage in Linux works awesome. I use it for all my OS's. Maemo, Linux and Windows (even works well for Vista - tho it states NTFS support is experimental). It's got some command line involved which might turn some people off. I'd highly recommend it.

jbk

Here's a quick snapshot of partimage running. My Maemo partition on my 4GB SD card is highlighted in red "mmcblk0p2" - the restore process takes about a total of 40 seconds, and once it's done you have a completely fresh image restored. Taking images is fast and easy too. Once you learn how to use it you'll find that it's an app to not go without.

jbk

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbk For This Useful Post:
Interesting, and it creates the image file as a file that can exist inside of a file system?

Like backup.img in an ext3 or NTFS partition?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yup, it'll create an image that's stored on your hard drive or where ever you decide (image that it creates has to be stored on a different partition of course). So if you decided to image your SD card and store the image on a ext2/3 or NTFS partition, the image name would have a 000 extension, for example "backup.000" stored on /mnt/backup

jbk

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Only $4.99 after $20 rebate for Acronis True Image at NewEgg. This is what I use to backup my cloned SD cards in Windows. Search the forum for Acronis for more info. I wish I'd gotten mine for only $5!
A very nice piece of software. I checked NewEgg however, and they're out-of-stock (and rebate expires Nov 6).

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Do you have a spare over 1G USB stick?

If you do then download ubuntu 8.10 here
Make your USB stick bootable, see here.

Sometimes the USB is not bootable then you have to repair the MBR, do this in a xterm: lilo -M /dev/sdb

As root, apt-get install partimage, when you boot from your USB stick you will have a whole linux system on a stick with partimage.

Don't forget install flasher3.0, .... on the stick too!

Use it: just stick it in a USB port of your laptop, boot laptop from USB!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post: