Active Topics

Notices

OK, I have been trying to find a GPS navigation program that will function like the Garmin I have in the car. My main purpose here is to have something to use when I fly out of town as I'd like to cut down on what I'm carrying and I ALWAYS take my N800. :-) I want something that works offline, can calculate highway routes, and has a decent graphical interface. After looking at at the programs for the N800 that I could find, I have come to the conclusion that there is not program that does all this right now except for the commercial package "WAYFINDER". Am I missing something, or is this current state of affairs? I'm leaving town next week, so if there IS something available, I'd like to install it and check it out before I leave! (BTW, I've researched this extensively in the forum and I have tried ROADMAP, NAVIT, MAEMO MAPPER, MAP, to no avail.

Thanks,

Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

Last edited by gwalborn; 2008-06-20 at 19:38. Reason: change options

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
In your extensive experimentation with Maemo Mapper, what did you find? It works great for me, gives me turns-by-turn directions to the place I want to go, even though I.don't have wireless in the car. Describe how your testing went.

Maemo Mapper is REALLY neat, BUT I need something that does not require an internet connection for routing. I'm going to Canada next week and the data services on my phone do not work up there...

Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Then plan your trip and download the maps for your route?

If I have the maps downloaded, will Maemo Mapper be able to configure a route from point A to point B without using the Internet?

Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

No. I think Bundyo meant to obtian the routes while online (before the trip), and then use them to download the maps along the routes...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's true that if you don't know what addressess you are going to and if you won't have wireless access in Canada, the automatic routing won't work. I personally don't travel to places that don't have wireless access somewhere. If you found out the address you were going to and had just a few minutes wireless access, you could get automatic routing, no problem.

It is actually fairly unusual, in my experience, to go for an important trip and not to know what addresses you are going to.

I think they have wireless in Canada. I know they are behind us Americans, but they may have achieved at least that. Since I am monetarily disadvantaged, I always look for free wireless hotspots before I go anywhere far. I had no problem finding wireless in Andorra and in Estonia, so Canada would probably work also.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-06-20 at 20:24.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Free wireless is pretty rare in the UK.
It is a shame there isn't something for automatically routing in maemo mapper, as it is quite a nice program.
Very good at drawing nice little trails as to where you have been. If nothing else you can put trails on, and drive round and round looking for where you are going, and see where you haven't been yet

Well, this is a pleasure trip, so I really don't have an agenda already. Also, to do a route, you need to know where you are starting as well as where you are going. I might be downtown wandering around and see an ad for somewhere I want to go. I'll need a route from where I am to where I'm going. There is some WiFi coverage in Toronto, but I wouldn't want to bet on it at any given instant. If I have to, I'll just take the Garmin out of the car. It's a shame that all the programs for the N800 (at least as far as I can tell) fall JUST short of doing what I need to do.
I'm sure we'll get there eventually, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked something that "does it all". All input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
I think your best bet would be to buy a license for the Wayfinder app for a month (which is only a couple of bucks)

I agree with you that it is disappointing that there isn't free software (or at least something without recurring fees) available that allows you to use the n810 to do off-line routing like even a low-end Garmin or Tom-Tom does.