Posts: 131 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Although, doesn't think about hostmode. Generally, expect it to be a good smartphone, but much less real mobile computer (as opposed to N900). It depends on what you expect - I would say most dedicated N900 users could feel disappointed, but your mileage may wary.
I am aware it's less of a "mobile computer" than N900 (I'm keeping this one for now, or for ever, anyway ). I was hoping to keep some of the good stuff already discussed above, and gain a better camera and faster browsing & documents/photos manipulation (in short -- more speed and less bugs with every day tasks). Too much to expect from it? And how's the battery, BTW?

(As an alternative, I was also looking into the previous iPhone 4(S), but I'm not too comfortable with the limitations of obscuring the file system by design, although I'm quite happy with my iPad. I don't really like Android, so eventually I'll probably land on either Sailfish or Windows Phone. )

How much storage for apps and user files is actually available on a 16 GB model?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by regulus View Post
How much storage for apps and user files is actually available on a 16 GB model?
Its pretty simple for both 16&64GB:

rootfs - 4GB
userfs - 2GB
emmc - balance

My advice to you is to get the 64GB variant. 16GB really is a limiting factor

Yikes, that's bad. Yeah, the 16 GB has been holding me back (and I was specifically looking for a cyan colored model, which I hear isn't available for 64 GB)...

The Following User Says Thank You to regulus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by regulus View Post
Yikes, that's bad. Yeah, the 16 GB has been holding me back (and I was specifically looking for a cyan colored model, which I hear isn't available for 64 GB)...
64GB is only available in black and white (thank you Elop). You can change the housing afterwards though...

N900 has been my primary phone for 2 years. Last week I broke down and bought a white 64gb N9. It does have faster processor and more RAM; I also like its integrated mail/message feature. But I must say that in general I am disappointed. N900 just feels more solid overall. If not for its huge storage capacity and the fact that I can use it as an offline GPS when traveling (downloaded most of Nokia maps just now), I would probably sell my new N9. In short, if I can keep only one phone, it would be N900.

The 16GB one is rather limiting in space, however, regarding navigation and maps n9 is better since it can cache the latest Nokia maps and navigation SW is alot better than the native n900 app. Plus the fact that n9 hw is faster.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
I switched from a N900 to a N9 about a year ago, and still dont regret it. Most features i gained on my N900 by tweaking are allready present in the standard N9 software. (headphone deamon, hotspot, a fast gui. etc.)

I stayed in userland with my N9, and i am really happy with it.
Yes, the memory limitation is a bit of a downside, but youll get used to it; I used to have my entire music collection on my N900, but never used most of that..