They have a how-to for self-cutting a microSIM here (albeit in German):

http://www.micro-sim.de/selbst-basteln/

They had a miniSIM with a large chip and the cut-down size was just the size of the chip but they say it works for them:

The Following User Says Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
They have a how-to for self-cutting a microSIM here (albeit in German):

http://www.micro-sim.de/selbst-basteln/

They had a miniSIM with a large chip and the cut-down size was just the size of the chip but they say it works for them:

This may work in iPhone but not in N9. It needs a micro sim with smaller contact area.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...ostcount=10094

The Following User Says Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
New smaller-contacts miniSIM + diagram found here + scissors + patience + some swearing == success!

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Toronto, Canada
So yeah, I registered to reply to this.

I am also with Wind and I have an N900 and it's an awesome combination! (Reception problems? What reception problems?)

So since I ordered an N9 this morning (w00t) I decided to look around. Yeah, it's lame that you have to cut the Sim, HOWEVER! Yes, their new SIM cards have smaller contact areas. I also had a larger one I got over a year ago, and was a little stressed out. But I walked up to my local Wind booth, gave them a sob story, and the guy in about 2 minutes had me up and going with a new SIM. With a smaller contact area.

I have that fancy stapler that cuts out Micro-Sims from regular ones so I'm all set to go when my N9 arrives. Also, I can confirm the smaller contact area sims will work on the N900 in case that was in doubt.

By the way, the guy was awesome, even though I was totally willing to pay the 25 bucks for a new SIM, he said not to worry. Yes, this continues to officially be the best Provider in Toronto.

(no, I wasn't paid to sponsor them, I just really really like them)

The Following User Says Thank You to SolarisSixth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by SolarisSixth View Post
I am also with Wind and I have an N900 and it's an awesome combination! (Reception problems? What reception problems?)
Agree - reception is great everywhere I go (but then I do live and work downtown).

Originally Posted by SolarisSixth View Post
Also, I can confirm the smaller contact area sims will work on the N900 in case that was in doubt.

By the way, the guy was awesome, even though I was totally willing to pay the 25 bucks for a new SIM, he said not to worry. Yes, this continues to officially be the best Provider in Toronto.
Hah! Hope you enjoy your N9. I've also just switched over from the N900 - it's been a great couple of years, and I'm now planning to turn the N900 into an amazing toy (e.g. timelapse camera with wifi access!)

I can confirm that N9 + Wind == sweet combo. I ended up escalating my initial poor customer service experience, and - higher up the chain - WIND were extremely responsive, even offering to help me cut my SIM for free.

By then I'd already obtained a new miniSIM and cut it myself, but yes: WIND continue to provide me with good value for money and good cell service. During my contact with them today, the company as a whole was helpful and responsive (can't fault them for having one or two sub-par call-center staff).

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-10-27 at 21:14.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
i don't know how toronto area dealing with SIM but here in asian (malaysia) is so easy to change your SIM....
i go to my services provider store & tell them i just lost (lies) my SIM...i show them prove (my ID) then within 5 minutes i get a new SIM (choose between normal or mirco SIM) & they block the old one at the same times....
pretty simple but just have to remember to backup your contacts first