Active Topics

Few and subtle.

The device on light is light blue on the normal tablet, orange on the WiMax. The default theme is also orange instead of blue. And the keyboard. Black and orange.

It has the bump for the wimax hardware, and it feels like plastic, not metal. The car mount has space for the bump.

There is of course WiMax support files and entries in the filesystem and dialogs.

I haven't tested things in depth like sensitivity, but I haven't seen much difference.

The best buy price is only a bit more, so is there a reason to go if there isn't wimax? Well, the color is more in keeping with my Harley motorcycle. And if WiMax ever comes that will be an option.

I use an EVDO modem on a Cradlepoint PHS. It is slower than WiMax (1-2Mbps v.s. 3-4), but also will go down to 1xRTT (144kbps) in remote areas (there are few with zero coverage).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I <3 Orange!!

Do you have pictures???

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
The case is orange on the WiMax Ed, isn't blue on the regular N810?

Oh yes, the cheap looking ugly vinyl slipcase matches the theme color. Blue for a non wimax, orange for a wimax.

I'll have to see if I can get the device on light (I assume that is what you are asking about). It was disconcerting since it is almost red which is the camera indication, but the charge is still blinking/solid green.

It does match the keyboard when illuminated, but is brighter. The original n810 was a very light blue, almost white, but the wimax is orange.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
The best buy price is only a bit more, so is there a reason to go if there isn't wimax? Well, the color is more in keeping with my Harley motorcycle. And if WiMax ever comes that will be an option.
Well lets see . . . with the WiMAX version you also get WiFi. The price for the WiMAX is $449, after taxes its around $480.

Secondly, if WiMAX ever comes? Comes where?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
There is of course WiMax support files and entries in the filesystem and dialogs.

I haven't tested things in depth like sensitivity, but I haven't seen much difference.

The WiMax version tablet doesn't support all WiMax. It is probably limited to 2.5MHz frequencies. It may even be limited to Xohm. We do know that the tablet software had to be modified to include a custom component in order to register to the Xohm network.

Has anyone looked at the rf IC chip in the WiMax version or gotten it to work on a non-Xohm Wimax network anywhere?

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The WiMax version tablet doesn't support all WiMax. It is probably limited to 2.5MHz frequencies. It may even be limited to Xohm. We do know that the tablet software had to be modified to include a custom component in order to register to the Xohm network.

Has anyone looked at the rf IC chip in the WiMax version or gotten it to work on a non-Xohm Wimax network anywhere?

No one else is running off of OFMDA 4G WiMAX other then XOHM..

After a visit to an electrical shop Orange LEDs can be swapped for light blue LEDs.
Next stop, is the keyboard. TipEx anyone?

More importantly, any news on whether the WiMax card can be unlocked (or even if it is?) I think it is 2.5 Ghz, which is a shame since I think the WiMax coverage is somewhere higher were I live

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by zii View Post
More importantly, any news on whether the WiMax card can be unlocked (
Unlocked wimax IT, that would be fcukin awesome!

if the device was carrier locked shouldn't it be sold with a subsidized discount upon xhom release?
NOW tethering the n810W to a laptop would be awesome.

Tags
n810, wimax