Okay, so someone gifted me their old Droid (The Original(TM)) and I'm loving it.

The Original Droid is apparently underpowered by today's standards, but it works well. The first thing I did was put CM7 on it and then I dinked around for a day and a half, then danramos told me to do V6SuperCharge. That, combined with going back to the 'stock' theme, has made it much snappier. So for the last couple of days I've been playing with it, using the built-in SIP client, installing some apps, playing with the maps, etc. I'm seriously considering using it as my main phone.

Too bad it doesn't do true multi-tasking like Maemo. Too bad it doesn't have 32GB AND the microSD like the N900.

The thing that struck me most about the Droid over the N900 is the phone. I had gotten used to the N900's crappy phone program and didn't even know it was crappy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
n9 is here. Android is dead. Just want to give you heads up

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-06-25 at 06:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
n9 is hear. Android is dead. Just want to give you heads up
You wrongly used 'hear' instead of 'here' and it's the wrong thread for that bit of news. Aside from that, WELCOME! You've finally arrived at the only thread that doesn't feel like a funeral march, despite your ironic statement!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-06-25 at 08:38. Reason: s/but/bit/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
Okay, so someone gifted me their old Droid (The Original(TM)) and I'm loving it.

The Original Droid is apparently underpowered by today's standards, but it works well. The first thing I did was put CM7 on it and then I dinked around for a day and a half, then danramos told me to do V6SuperCharge. That, combined with going back to the 'stock' theme, has made it much snappier. So for the last couple of days I've been playing with it, using the built-in SIP client, installing some apps, playing with the maps, etc. I'm seriously considering using it as my main phone.

Too bad it doesn't do true multi-tasking like Maemo. Too bad it doesn't have 32GB AND the microSD like the N900.

The thing that struck me most about the Droid over the N900 is the phone. I had gotten used to the N900's crappy phone program and didn't even know it was crappy.
True, it doesn't have huge internal AND external flash storage. Nice thing about the Droid is that you can add up to 32GB of microSD storage to it and use it to run apps. (You can either go about the plain vanilla method of moving qualified apps to the SD card, or use the rooted APPS2SD method that CyanogenMod supports.) This isn't like the N900 where you're stuck with an incredibly teeeeeeny partition for your home and apps. Additionally, there's a huge push to get data into the cloud--so you don't have to have a lot of storage on the device for your calendar, email, music, video, etc., if you want to be able to sync or use your data across lots of devices. (Personally, I prefer to keep most of my data local, but some things I prefer in the cloud like my email, contacts and calendar... those just magically appear on my Droid *AND* Galaxy Tab.)

Because it's the nature of Android from the beginning, it is able to do true multitasking for any apps that are enabled to multitask in the background... and any apps that an author wrote to be able to freeze their state when they're thrown into the background will do that instead so that you don't eat up battery life (as opposed to constantly running idle applications in the background like in Maemo). You'll note that this DOES provide you with the best of both worlds--you can get true multitasking from apps that should be able to do so in the background while getting FAR better battery life. What are you running into that isn't multitasking for you?

I'm sure most of the people who puffer on about how great a phone the N900 is have never used anything else, but that's just natural. I blame Nokia, mainly, for doing such a half-arse job of something that even the Skype application does a better job of doing. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yo, Negatron Dan... what was that Astro File Browser replacement you swore was pretty darn good?

I've been in and out of this thread, can't find it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This isn't like the N900 where you're stuck with an incredibly teeeeeeny partition for your home and apps.
Wrong.

I'm sure most of the people who puffer on about how great a phone the N900 is have never used anything else, but that's just natural.
Considering your ignorance above, this statement is ironic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Wrong.

People discuss things on this site. That is the PURPOSE of this site. Statements like "Wrong." without further comment are quite lame. Are you suggesting we go into Vulcan Mind Meld to learn what you know?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yo, Negatron Dan... what was that Astro File Browser replacement you swore was pretty darn good?

Might be File expert?
http://market.android.com/details?id=xcxin.filexpert
I find it good.

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-06-25 at 11:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

You must be talking about the awesome FILE EXPERT! It's free! Donating/paying doesn't unlock anything but their gratitude, unlike Astro. PLUS it does a whole lot more than Astro (like stream video through a local proxy so the local video player will play even SMB and RTSP streams).

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Wrong.

People discuss things on this site. That is the PURPOSE of this site. Statements like "Wrong." without further comment are quite lame. Are you suggesting we go into Vulcan Mind Meld to learn what you know?
No kidding. I don't mind being told I'm wrong, but I'd like to know how I'm wrong. As I understood it, nothing I've said was wrong. People have been complaining in a bunch of threads about figuring out how to go about getting apps to install in some larger mountpoint outside of the eMMC memory. Last I checked, the apps have to be written or patched to take advantage of such external mountpoints outside of the usual application installation paths. For sure, I KNOW that what I'm saying about the Android operating system and the install-to-SD as well as APPS2SD methods work. So I'm not clear where "wrong" comes in. Please explain, daperl. Educate us.

Otherwise, let me reply in kind at the same level, then: Your face is wrong.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Oops, gosh, I wasn't verbose enough last time. My bad, I could have sworn the following comment was pure flamebait. Please, let me try again.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This isn't like the N900 where you're stuck with an incredibly teeeeeeny partition for your home and apps.
This is incorrect. Stuck would imply that you're stuck. You're not. The n900 runs underneath a powerful GNU/Linux operating system that offers the user a plethora of options to solve their file storage issues. If your having such problems, there's no need to feel stuck like the previous poster, please use the search features of this site to find the answer that is right for you. For one such example, I encourage you to click on the link in my signature to learn how you too could have the entire n900 SDK on your device.

Thank you and have a nice day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy