Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09224/990132-185.stm,

"Nissan Motor Co. announced last month that it would begin selling an electric vehicle in Japan and the United States next year. The Nissan Leaf is expected to have a fuel economy rating of 367 miles per gallon, the company said last week. Moreover, Nissan officials have said the pricetag for the Leaf will be almost $20,000 less than the Volt.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09224...#ixzz0NwNMI2RA
"

I am excited about this news. It is very green! What about the Saudis? War in Middle East?

All about the leaf, http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...08/post_4.html

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-08-12 at 04:53.

DO WANT.

The Chevy Volt is ugly and too expensive. This is more efficient, more affordable and a whole lot nicer. Nissan has a reputation for stuffing their hatchbacks full of awesome techie stuff.

This may end up being my first car depending on where I am and what I'm doing in a couple of years.

Another thing, I was watching a bunch of Hulu videos last week and Chevy had put up a ton of ads with just the number "230" and no reference to anything else whatsoever with some really annoying music. I swore to myself that I would never forgive whoever was putting up those crappy ads and I would never buy whatever they were trying to sell.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
TRUE

(oh, i thought this was a T/F question.......)

A slight catch on the $. The Nissen battery costs about $10,000 and I am afraid, the $20,000 car comes, like any electrical merchandise, "battery is NOT included"

Or, battery has to be leased from Nissen for "a few hundred $" a month. Well, it still green for the earth. And the cash for crunker may need some minor adjustment, say under 48 MPG

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-08-12 at 05:43.

THe lease on most 10000 cars is not htat exepnsive. If hte government lobs a few grand off that 10k, the lease should come out to less tahn $100, and then you have about $250 to finance the car itself, for a total of about $300-$350 a month.

Edit: Wow, I have a serious problem typing out t's and h's.

Seriously, why are these guys still going with traditional batteries for their cars? Time and time again common hobbyists have proved that super capacitor battery systems are far superior to common batteries. Sheesh. They had one guy who turned a gas guzzling Hummer into a 60mpg gas sipping dream machine.

A $10,000 battery is NOT very expensive? I mean, only the battery, does not include the brake or the steering wheel or tires or what not! I remember my 1st new car, a brand new car drive out the lot, with wheels and battery and a full tank of gas was $2,999 in 1973. It was a Volkswagon beetle, with NO options, no A/C, no power window/Brake/steering, no nothing. I bought the whole car, no mortgage, no downpayment, no nothing, with saving from only one summer of work and "talked"to a pretty girl that would pay half of it at that time and married to me 12 month later.

$10 grand for a battery, it is a guess at this time, I still think it is very expensive. And too, I agree with Loard Raiden that we should advance our technology on battery, but the jump still hurts.

bun

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
DO WANT.

The Chevy Volt is ugly and too expensive. This is more efficient, more affordable and a whole lot nicer. Nissan has a reputation for stuffing their hatchbacks full of awesome techie stuff.

This may end up being my first car depending on where I am and what I'm doing in a couple of years.

Another thing, I was watching a bunch of Hulu videos last week and Chevy had put up a ton of ads with just the number "230" and no reference to anything else whatsoever with some really annoying music. I swore to myself that I would never forgive whoever was putting up those crappy ads and I would never buy whatever they were trying to sell.
Have you seen the Leaf? If the Volt is ugly than I don't know what you'll think the Leaf is. Also the Leaf will lease the battery. Given the Volts 16KWH is expected to cost around $8K I would imagine Nissans 25KWH battery will cost at least $10K and remember it is a lease (i.e. you give back after a certain amount of time, lease another or buy). Therefore the "cheaper car" could be a costly in the long run (i.e. get a cell phone free if you sign a multi year contract).

No gas tank + No tailpipe >> 367 MPG!!!

Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
No gas tank + No tailpipe >> 367 MPG!!!
???

Do you mean that the 367 MPG is a cheating number, that if gas tank + tailpipe, it is going to be less? I dont thank it is going to change a lot.

bun