Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
i would unplug the box then let everyone out
Gobuki rolls the dice...

You walk around the box to find the power cord. ...
You stumble over it. After picking yourself up you try to pull the plug, but it doesn't move. Apparently you are to weak. While you recognize it, you notice a crushing sound.

That was no option.

I find these debates to be profoundly non-useful in and of themselves, but they do reveal much about the way we discipline our thinking.

Firstly, to force the issue, these "thought experiments" tend to have to warp reality to the point where they are absurd - the idea that there are only two choices, frex...there is always scope for choice with free will.

I'm the kind of guy that does lean towards helping people if I can, but not at the expense of my life or those of others I care about. I carry a gun for self defense, and would use it to defend an unknown woman from violent assault, but I wouldn't use it to intervene in some gangbangers conflict.

What I see of interest here is the way many people are conditioned to follow the life-evaluating calculus of "more = better". Why is it better to save 5 rather than 1? Why isn't it just as immoral to condemn 1 to death as it is 5? How do you 'value' human life, after all?

If I know none of the victims, they are literally of no 'value' to me at all. The world will continue turning after their death, my life will go on undisturbed. In fact, there is an argument to suggest that there is greater 'value' in letting 5 die to reduce competition for resources.

Concepts such as "value" and "worth" are very treacherous things at times.

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
What I see of interest here is the way many people are conditioned to follow the life-evaluating calculus of "more = better". Why is it better to save 5 rather than 1? Why isn't it just as immoral to condemn 1 to death as it is 5? How do you 'value' human life, after all?
There has to be a tipping point: 5-to-1, 10-to-1, 1000-to-1, etc.

My tipping point for the lever? ~100-to-1 lives saved.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
If he agrees there's no moral dilemma. You might be legally responsible for assisted suicide.
they would have to prove that while I was stabilizing the other 6 people and he passed that I killed him or assisted him in dying. Kind of impossible.

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
On reflection, I'd rather be haunted by one angry ghost than five... is that relevent?

Originally Posted by gobuki View Post
Gobuki rolls the dice...

You walk around the box to find the power cord. ...
You stumble over it. After picking yourself up you try to pull the plug, but it doesn't move. Apparently you are to weak. While you recognize it, you notice a crushing sound.

That was no option.
so now not only is the scenario dictated, my actions in reaction to the ordeal is being dictated ? I'd consider that more of a short story and not a moral dilemma.

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
so now not only is the scenario dictated, my actions in reaction to the ordeal is being dictated ? I'd consider that more of a short story and not a moral dilemma.
/me votes gobuki out of Heaven and restores the natural order.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
In actual fact, now that I think of it, if I were faced with any situation remotely like any of those mentioned, I have no idea how I would respond and I wouldn't want to commit myself in advance to act logically. I'm sure I'd regret any decision I made.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
^ what he said

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
is that relevent?
Dunno, but it definitely is relevant.

Tags
maemo, morality, philosophy