Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
I said before, i think you should put the "Fixed in Freemantle" but also leave it open until freemantle is released, or another solution is found.
s/Freemantle/Fremantle/

This isn't how the process works, and it doesn't actually do anything productive beyond supposedly soothing those of you that can't get over existing releases eventually being expired.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Soothing isn't bad. We have a full thread of un-soothed people here.
And yeah, we are all scared that our devices get left aside, when the new one gets here.
Thats why "Fixed in Freemantle" ain't getting a whole buch of smiles. We just want to hear that the N8x0 are still getting attention. Complaining about the bugzilla is asking that. Maybe it isn't the right way, but heck, I know I'm nervous. I don't have the kind of money to get a new device. I want to be soothed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eliagp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
You rather prefer Fremantle's part of Bugzilla to be closed?
That's not the only other option.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
And yeah, we are all scared that our devices get left aside, when the new one gets here.
Thats why "Fixed in Freemantle" ain't getting a whole buch of smiles. We just want to hear that the N8x0 are still getting attention.
Exactly. If Nokia or whoever came out and said, once and for all, that _they_ would be porting fremantle to our devices, then I'm sure most everyone here would be happy. So far, all we've had are vague assurances that "the community" will be able to port fremantle for us. Who knows how long that would be likely to take (no disrespect to the very talented community) or even if it's going to work properly when it arrives.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I fail to see how the alternative would be better: I would know that we are going to do this enhancement in some release, but I would then keep this information all to myself, up to the day when Fremantle is then actually launched. How would that be better?
Why not commenting the bug (Like you did) but letting it opened?

Originally Posted by Boke View Post
Why not commenting the bug (Like you did) but letting it opened?
Because that's not how it works. When an enhancement is roadmapped, it's marked as FIXED.

Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
If Nokia or whoever came out and said, once and for all, that _they_ would be porting fremantle to our devices, then I'm sure most everyone here would be happy.
Even if they were to do that, it would still leave us with bugs that are closed in bugzilla, but still unfixed for over half a year (and probably more). What is SSU for?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
there has been the expectation that (...) Nokia would commit enough resources to 1) take the mobile platform design forward
Work in progress. Fremantle and Harmattan will probably make us see Diablo as we see Bora and Mistral today.

, and also to 2) enable the small but growing developer and enthusiast community to maintain new software on the existing hardware.
We are commited to http://wiki.maemo.org/Objective:Maemo_variants

About the rest,

Investing more resources having Fremantle fixes available also for Diablo might look like a more sustainable approach but... what if investing heavily in the future releases is actually the best way for Maemo to become really sustainable?

There is not such 'planning early obsoletion'. If you think device manufacturers make better business through obsoletion than through user satisfaction and customer retention, think twice. This sector is simply running fast, very fast. Look around. Not being fast is not very sustainable and to be fast you need to set priorities and make compromises.

On the other hand Maemo SW is funding 3 *masters for community activities and a fourth one is coming (debmaster). We could have less investment done there and more e.g. making Diablo users happier in the short term. But would that be more sustainable?

By prioritizing stronger future releases and a stronger community we fulfill better your 1) 2) points above and (we believe) all we are in a more promising and sustainable Maemo path.

PS: Actually Nokia seems to care about the environment. Longer life for devices is part of this trend, and thanks to Maemo's openness that longer life doesn't depend on Nokia alone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because that's not how it works. When an enhancement is roadmapped, it's marked as FIXED.
Really? I'm sure the poster you were responding to hadn't figured that out.

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Really? I'm sure the poster you were responding to hadn't figured that out.
Apparently not, because it's not the first time I've responded to that 'solution' in this thread.

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant