I hae gone through and configured the unit to the resquirements set by yahoo but I can't seem to get it to connect. I have set up authentication and changed the smtp port to 587 as required. Nothin' doin'. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I am a yahoo mail user and here are my thoughts (1st it works great for me via the web or the built in email client).

First, I would access your Yahoo email through the web, not the email client on the 770!
Second, If you want to use the built in email client your "incoming pop3 smtp mail server" should be "pop.mail.yahoo.com". Your "outgoing smtp mail server" should be the same as what ever your home application (i.e. outlook) mail server uses. For instance, my connection is through COX cable so I have to put in the smtp server for COX. At work, I use "smtp.mail.yahoo.com".
Now, because of this you may not be able to send email when hooked up to a different WIFI connection unless you use their smtp server address. That is why I just check my email on yahoo using the web.

Tony

Tony,

You could just use your net-based yahoo client, of course, but what about the rest of us who want to use the 5 or so 770 apps that have the following feature embedded into them:

"Send via email"

I've tried to copy and paste some of my notes and other things, like the hand-drown scratchpad images, into yahoo and it will not work. The only way to be able to use all of those features (which I do want to use) is to have the yahoo configured through the built-in mail client.

So, I too want to know why the 770 cannot access my yahoo account (and by the way, I am a deluxe member, so I have the right to access my account this way.... if you're a free member, you cannot access your account this way.....) I still cannot log in.... I've tried everything. It just doesn't work.

Could someone who is actually using yahoo this way please respond with the directions? No one seems to know what to do.... and Yahoo themselves don't yet support the Nokia ... although the software that comes with our device looks eerily similar to Outlook Express, so I don't know why they wouldn't .... heh

Thanks

I set up my mailbox using the settings Tony mentioned,
Mailbox type is Pop3
Incoming server is pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing server is smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I did not change the outgoing port (25), but I did go under the Advanced button (on the last screen of the mailbox settings) and on the SMTP Server tab I selected SMTP Authorization of Login. I changed that setting after not being able to send the first time (with a setting of None).

I was able to send and receive, including using the Send As Email from a sketch.

But what Tony mentioned is very true, the network you connect to may not allow you to send using the above Outgoing settings, instead they may require you to use their own SMTP settings. I used my cell phones WAP connection to do the above test, but I know each of my two dial up networks has specific SMTP settings and you can't use any other settings.

Let me know if I can help with any other of my settings (I'm no expert, but it did work for me so maybe we can figure out what's different).

See Ya
Viking

I got Yahoo working on my device, finally. After updating the system's software with the latest patch, it worked without any hassle. I did have over 650 posts in my email, and like other complainers, I found the load time to be ridiculous. Software for these smaller-memory devices should be written to ALWAYS INCLUDE paging of long lists, so that if you do have 650 emails, it will be divided into 11 pages of 50 posts, etc...

It tries to load your entire list into one single window! How ******ed!

I had to go in, create a backup folder for all of my old emails, and move them out... so I now only have 50 posts in my Inbox. Now when loading the device's yahoo account, it takes about 5 seconds. Much nicer.

But they should think about that when devising the software, so that it looks at long lists as pages instead of the entire bulk. Just loading 650 messages took up all the memory every time and forced a reboot every time I loaded it, and if they'd thought of that before they released the software, it would never have been an issue!

I'm all fixed up now, though! Yaaaaaahooooooooo!

--Ciao.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Try sylpheed

The Following User Says Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by konttori
Try sylpheed
Thanks for the tip. <Sounds good. I hope it solves some of my mail-problems.

Originally Posted by konttori
Try sylpheed
Yesterday i tried Sylpheed. Now i understand your

After many trials some parts of sylpheed realy worked. And its quite faster than the built in client. But the usability seems "pre alpha" to me.

I hope there is someone who improves Sylpheed a little bit, to make it a real alternative.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Of course it's a pre-alpha! That's why it's on the Work In Progress page and says as much on its homepage.

Once the 2006 OS SDK comes out and there's a stable (and relatively sensible) API, I'll make the port work better. It's not hard, it just takes time - and at the moment would be entirely pointless.

Last edited by aflegg; 2006-06-07 at 08:48. Reason: Punctuation