Active Topics

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Most sites on the web are designed for 800 pix width.

Thus you have to scroll the iPhone horizontally. The iPhone does not have a "fit-to-width" mode and therefore it is only usable for some sites, many sites do not render well. Horizontal scrolling is a pain in the @ss, not usable for longer browsing sessions.

I would only consider buying the iphone, when it gets a proper resolution. With my N800 I can perfectly render 99% of all sites.
Wrong. Did you read anything about mobile safari?

All sites fit to width with proper page layout. Turn the phone sideways... It scales everything and all the text is perfectly legible.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
Really? Can you provide a reputable link to back up that statement?

R.
==
I guess I need to clarify. In the early days there was the issue of the microphone, which had no apparent function since there were no applications for it. In fact, browse this board as some claimed it did not exist. Later, an Internet phone application came out that accessed the mike. This came as no surprise to most of us as Nokia is a phone company.

So, my conclusion was that part of it's role as an "Internet Tablet" (whatever that is!) was to include phone capability--via the Internet. It seems that a great deal of effort has been spent saying that it is not a PDA.

It's already been shown that owning an iPhone will cost someone around $2000 over a two-year period. That's the price of the iPhone and the CHEAPEST two year contract from AT&T. Pay-as-You-Go defeats the purpose of the iPhone's "always connected" data structure and can cost MORE over the same two year period.
And my Nokia N95 stomps the iPhone when it comes to features and STILL costs me less over the same two year period!

My N800 cost me EXACTLY a one-time payment of $399. That's all. Nothing more.

Gee, I'm running the latest micro-b browser build and when using the Opera engine and browsing Ars Technica full-screen with NO SCROLL BARS I find I have to very little - if any - horizontal browsing. Same goes for Engadget, The Register, etc. The worst site I've found when browsing is Gizmodo but that's the site's fault due to horrible coding on Gizmodo's part.
But I guess you're going to whinge about the "out-of-the-box" experience on a product that's more than a year old?
Even the iPhone's had software updates already and it came out in June.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
770 running 2007He from flash and 2006OS from MMC

I wager if you spent a week with an iPhone and were then given the choice between the two (go ahead, make it an N800), you would take the apple.[/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________ ________
That is a very sad statement for my 770 and, unfortunately, I agree.

While I did have to hack my iphone to add games and a terminal. Hacking my phone was an easier process than installing an application on the N800.
[/QUOTE]

That is also a very true statement.

I really think the 770 is a learning tool, a tool that one has more fun in playing with it, be it music streaming, coupling with BT, GPS, SSH, or take it to the extreme, make a Linux box out from a 486 etc. That is where I keep my 770, a not so proud owner of 2 months. Functionality? I spend much more time in making it work then getting anythings out of it and it still crash now and then. I know it on day one of the ownership but i still keep it, as I said, mainly to use it like a learning tool. I have learned so much in the last two month that I do not think I would if I were given an iPhone , a complement or a complaint?! And now I am building a Linux box and I think the 770 is indispensable. And finally, Skype on N800 is a winner (I do not have either Skype or N800), and for the 770, I would vote Gnite's Maemo Mapper, hands down.

Bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by phi View Post
I've had my 770 for about a year and a half now. And while there is somewhat of a love/hate relationship.
Well, for me, it is the other way round, it is a hate/love relationship. The more I work on it, the more fun I have gotten out of it. But I am a Apple II, MS-DOS, CP/M guy, i.e., you need to know a little bit and like to hack things. Whereas for the iPhone, I doubt the client knows what is CP/M. The bottom line, the 770 or the N800 is NOT a consumer electronic, or at least not a finished product at its present stage.

Bun

I've actually been in an Apple store over here and showed one of the employees who saw me playing with an iPhone how fast my N800 renders pages in Opera when compared to the iPhone.
It stomped the iPhone and both were using the exact same wi-fi access point.
Mostly I did it to snag the password for their wi-fi, but I was curious as well.
One employees even remarked to me "but the iPhone can zoom in on text with a fingertap" to which I replied "because it needs to. My N800 doesn't need to."
Then I cranked up Skype and Gizmo at the same time...."Hey, can the iPhone do Skype or Voice-over-IP?" Silence.
But kudos to Apple for running a *nix kernal on the iPhone. Too bhad they're light years behind Nokia in both functionality and the way Nokia does tend to go the open-source route for some things.

One employees even remarked to me "but the iPhone can zoom in on text with a fingertap" to which I replied "because it needs to. My N800 doesn't need to."
Listen, guys: this is first hand experience from someone who used both. The lack of resolution is the biggest drawback of the iPhone.

And because many web sites do not render well without zooming, horizontal scrolling, there are more and more sites designed "especially for iPhone".

Now we not only have the "best viewed with IE 5.5" sites, but also the "best viewed with iPhone" sites.

Sigh......

The microb browser isnt too bad, but its disappointing that I have to dig in the ini files to work up usable shortcuts.

Sorry if I was coming down too hard on the maemo platform, its just in a somewhat clunky state. I think once the gecko browser is finalized and they spend some time refining the modest email client it will be a respectable platform. Regardless of "openness" its not on par with the iPhone.

The N800 comes from a hardware company, the iPhone comes from a software company and it shows. I hate to bust out the typical Apple mantra, but its "easier" to enjoy browsing and consume media on an iPhone. The N800 feels like a buggy mess, even if it gets the job done.

Edit:

What happens to the N800 when devices like the iPhone are reduced in price and provide mature browsing experiences with direct support from companies like Microsoft/Adobe/Google? If I can have 1 device that is 11mm thick and does all this without having to worry about bluetooth tethering, upgrading my buggy copy of microb, modifying ini files, having non syncable GPE PIM suites why do I need a second device that isn't as developed? Oh I guess its open!

The smartphone is mass market. If they all start getting full 3-4 inch screens and capable browsers, whats the point of a slightly larger companion? Maybe Palm isn't so insane with their Foleo.

How many N800's have been sold? Can't be much higher than the 10's of thousands. I used to think it was the sweetest thing ever, but just like my 770 it just ended up being an immature device that gets thrown into the gadget drawer.

Last edited by sherifnix; 2007-08-27 at 18:03.

Ummm...you do know this is Nokia we're talking about here, right?
You know, the company that makes SMARTPHONES like the award-winning N95?
You know, the smartphone with built-in GPS, wi-fi, VoIP capability, standard USB for data transfer, Safari-based webkit browser, etc?

Again, really comparing the iPhone to the N800 is an apples to oranges comparison since the N800 was NEVER intended to be a "smartphone".
If anything it's more of a technology demonstration platform.
I expect further revisions down the line to have even MORE capabilities, particularly now that it's been chosen as a WiMax-enabled platform for Sprint in the US.

Looking at the iPhone I can see it makes phone calls (about 6 taps to do it though) and browses the web (hmm..no Flash support).
It can't do native YouTube, it can't do VoIP, it can't do Skype, it has no SDK for it....hmm...what's so damn special about the iPhone again?
Oh yeah, that "innovative" touch screen and flicking/pinching action. I call those "gimmicks".
Yeah, call me when 1 Apple Way, Cupertino CA releases a free SDK for it.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Ummm...you do know this is Nokia we're talking about here, right?
You know, the company that makes SMARTPHONES like the award-winning N95?
You know, the smartphone with built-in GPS, wi-fi, VoIP capability, standard USB for data transfer, Safari-based webkit browser, etc?

Again, really comparing the iPhone to the N800 is an apples to oranges comparison since the N800 was NEVER intended to be a "smartphone".
If anything it's more of a technology demonstration platform.
I expect further revisions down the line to have even MORE capabilities, particularly now that it's been chosen as a WiMax-enabled platform for Sprint in the US.

Looking at the iPhone I can see it makes phone calls (about 6 taps to do it though) and browses the web (hmm..no Flash support).
It can't do native YouTube, it can't do VoIP, it can't do Skype, it has no SDK for it....hmm...what's so damn special about the iPhone again?
Oh yeah, that "innovative" touch screen and flicking/pinching action. I call those "gimmicks".
Yeah, call me when 1 Apple Way, Cupertino CA releases a free SDK for it.
Steps to Call:

1. Phone Button
2. Press chosen name in Favorites

Calling <Name>...

Steps to kill N95 battery in 2.5-3 hours:

1. Turn on GPS
2. Turn on Wifi

Dead by 1pm, right after your lunch break!

Nokia's high end products all seem to be "Technology Demo's". They suck in real world use. After 3-4 years it eventually trickles down and they improve their mass market stuff. "Ohh it has potential!! its gonna be amazing once someone writes something cool with this SDK Nokia gave us." Then its replaced with a new version before anyone does anything with it. But its all good, new technology demonstration! MORE CAPABILITIES! Zero integration!