Noobie here. Unable to install screen rotation on my N800 after having installed it several times successfully in the past (*see below).

Current configuration:
Diablo OS2008 4.2008.23-14
Penguinbait's KDE installed on MMC2
Qole's Easy Debian installed on MMC1

After step 7.d., from here) I consistently receive error messages. Here's the initial error message after entering "apt-get -f install":

~ $ sudo gainroot

Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-05-22 10:32:35 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # apt-get -f install

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.

1 not fully installed or removed.

Need to get 0B of archives.

After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.

Setting up install-tools (1.0.0-3) ...

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file

tar: Child returned status 1

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

dpkg: error processing install-tools (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

Errors were encountered while processing:

install-tools

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

/home/user #

-----------------

Does anyone know of an easy solution to this? (I don't have programming skills, or a great deal of computer knowledge, so easy step-by-step solutions work better for me ). I also may not want to try any risky solutions in the next few days, as I'm doing a short informal presentation on the N800 five days from now (Go figure - a noobie doing a presentation )

-----------------

*I've successfully installed this under the following conditions:
- after a fresh flash
-after installing just Qole's Easy Debian on MMC2 (i.e. without KDE)
-after installing just Penguinbait's KDE on MMC2 (i.e. without Debian) (I did have trouble a number of times, though, trying to install the screen rotation first on a fresh flash, and then trying to install the Clone OS to SD after that. Doing the cloning step second, frequently resulted in "corrupt memory card" messages, no matter what memory card I would use. This order (KDE after Rotate) did work eventually, but it almost seemed random. The screen rotation/KDE installation worked every time, though, if I waited to do it after I had KDE on MMC2)

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
You should just install sliderotate. It's the easiest way. Choose update/reinstall kernel in the settings that pop up. This will fix any problems.

Thanks lm2 - I'll try sliderotate in a few days (hesitant to try it before the presentation on Friday)

I uninstalled slideroate but it didn't completely restore my system to its pre-sliderotate state.... if I hold the home key for one second, it minimizes the open window. I still need to tap the power key twice to bring up the reboot menu. How do I restore these settings as well as anything else sliderotate modified durring its install, but did not restore durring its uninstall?

Last edited by st5150; 2008-10-01 at 19:17.

Edit /etc/mce/mce.ini and change the settings however you like them.

Thanks, can someone upload their unmodified /etc/mce/mce.ini from the latest diablo release ? Is there anything else sliderotate modified durring install but did not restore durring uninstall ?

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ United Kingdom
I've only just moved my N810 from Chinook to Diablo. The PC based software update wizard automatically offered the latest firmware, which seems to have the latest SSU already as part of the image. As such, I started in essence with a clean tablet running Diablo and the latest SSU.

I then tried to install sliderotate, which failed; the Application Manager would not install it due to "Problems" with the packages, a few missing packages (the xserver package was missing, the kernel flasher seemed to have a name mismatch), but it also complained about osso version issues (I can't remember the exact error).

So, I tried to follow the wiki page and install all the tools manually. Everything was fine until I hit the install of the libxandr, at which point, again, Application Manager listed the following in the "Problems" section: Incompatible Application Version.

It seems something has changed with the latest SSU preventing either solution installing...

I know that people have been told once the latest SSU is installed to re apply the kernel change, but I wonder if something a little more fundamental has changed somewhere preventing the installs happening.

I've spoken to at least one other person suffering the same problem of not being able to install the rotation support, and again, he already has the latest SSU installed first.

Any help / pointers / ideas?

I don't think the rotation kernel has been re-built yet.
Installing the older rotation kernel will downgrade you.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ United Kingdom
but it appears I can't even install the utilities to do the downgrade....

I guess this means I'll just have to wait for the install files to be fixed as part of releasing the new kernel...

Hi i have been enjoying the rotation feature but i want to ask if it is necessary to keep both rotate-sb-plugin which came with the package and the sliderotate plugin, also today i had an update in the apps manager rotation-support-N810 but do not know which update it was though installed everything seems working, has anyone installed the update and which to clear this for me.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Tags
angular momentum, quantum mechanics, rotation, weirdtags