Active Topics

Honeycomb.. looks nice.
I think the stole some features from maemo like the contacts on the homescreen with IM and online status. Also the plus symbol to organize the widgets on the homescreen.. (maemo is greeting)

interesting..

So is Honeycomb really a lot more like Maemo now? All I have to compare is an N800 running Diablo to an Android phone running 2.1...but based on that comparison Maemo seemed to have the more polished UI. I used an Android 2.1 phone as my main phone for about a week and there were a thousand little things that it seemed to be missing that were thought out much better on Maemo. I can't remember everything, but the inability to choose whether you wanted to close an app vs. minimize drover me crazy...and the ability to quickly switch between apps was also a problem when I was trying to work with several things at once.

In Androids favor was the fact that the hardware was three years newer than the Nokia, and that there are some pretty slick apps available. But trying to work on it was really more an exercise in frustration than a productive experience. I'm hoping it has gotten better, because I need to get a phone this year and a VZ Meego device is pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

I have streak now and like what honeycomb will be bringing to the table. Although i still perfer N900 UI, honeycomb looks to be a close enough copy. I am also happy that Playstation Suite is coming to andriod markets, now if meego os also get the Playstation suite...

still waiting for a better browsing then the n900.. i miss that on my streak.. and the multi tasking.. is not really multi tasking after coming from n900. but it does look promising

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Since I bought and rooted an Android Nook Color, I've grown to appreciate Maemo a lot more. Android just plain sucks. It's far too limiting, childish and clunky. I've actually been using my N800 even more after buying it. My kids are using the Nook more than me now, mostly to play games on.

If it's a step above Maemo then MeeGo will blow Android away.

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
If it's a step above Maemo then MeeGo will blow Android away.
Android sells

Maemo does not sell

If Meego is just a step about Maemo, Nokia is doomed.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Android sells

Maemo does not sell

If Meego is just a step about Maemo, Nokia is doomed.
Maemo was not meant to sell. It was developed by a small team, wasn't hyped and had no TV ads or expensive marketing campaigns. It was step 4 of 5. MeeGo is step 5. MeeGo will sell.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
meego the last hero

Honeycomb like Maemo?

Open a Honeycomb terminal window, and type

"python --version"

If you get a "huh, what's that", well

When I demo my "phone" to someone (with brains), I always open the terminal, type

python --version
perl --version
gcc --version

...then I edit a "hellow world" C program, compile and run it on the phone.

Can Android do that?

/Z

Originally Posted by MasterZap View Post
Honeycomb like Maemo?

Open a Honeycomb terminal window, and type

"python --version"

If you get a "huh, what's that", well

When I demo my "phone" to someone (with brains), I always open the terminal, type

python --version
perl --version
gcc --version

...then I edit a "hellow world" C program, compile and run it on the phone.

Can Android do that?

/Z
That is one boring ***** demo to the regular phone user and to say they don't have brains is insulting. I've grown out of this phase of needing to edit all aspects of my phone. Maybe because I don't have all the ability myself but have to rely upon others, or maybe because there just isnt enough time in the day.

The only thing that will keep me with Maemo/ Meego is the Davlik virtualisation of android apps.

We need phones to do what we need in the real world. If you need the programming then I guess this is the platform for you. If you need accessibility then something more mainstream is there.

For example, I could use the following things which I can't seem to find out Maemo. Correct me if I'm wrong, Google maps with streetview and Access to trading platform applications

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Honeycomb vs. MeeGo

Interesting question.
The main difference is that Honeycomb exists and MeeGo - don`t.
Also Android is far ahead in development, apps, strategy, so why bother about MeeGo?

In the end of 2010 I bought HTC Desire HD and I am 95% satisfy from it, from customer service HTC has ( yes, one of the main points for me is customer service!!!) and quality of the phone and OS. And constant development.

I still nave N900 and I love it. But it is already in the past...
No more waiting for next update and for features, which other mobiles has from ages...

Nokia already lost a lot of faithful customers, as I was.
So I do not think in the next 2-3 years to look back for Nokia smartphone, tablet or else. Already lost faith in Nokia.

Regards.