Active Topics

Nokia really started to go downhill after it agreed to sell itself to Microsoft at the end of 2013, going all in with Windows Mobile. When that faltered, "Microsoft folded Nokia into its mobile business, maintaining the Finnish company's brand on feature phones, while offering up smartphones under the newly integrated Microsoft Lumia line," reports TechCrunch. In May of this year, Microsoft sold its feature phone business to Foxconn for $350 million. At around the same time, Nokia essentially licensed its brand to Finnish company HMD global Oy to create phones under the Nokia name, "which would be manufactured and distributed by Foxconn." Now, TechCrunch is reporting that Nokia has hired Pikka Rantala, the once CEO of Angry Birds creator Rovio, who stepped down in 2015 after a rough year with the mobile gaming company. He will be joining the company as Chief Marketing Officer.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/0...phone-business

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I traced the slashdot article back, and indeed it seems the whole thing is filled with inaccuracies and plain errors.

Nokia never "sold itself to microsoft", only the mobile devices division.
Pekka Rantala has been hired by HMD, not Nokia.
Nokia has only licensed its name to HMD, it is not going to make mobile phones.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Can't we ask that guy to help us retrieving Maemo sources?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No point in trying to make Nokia great again for the very same reason As US cant be great again.

Coperation is key an neither of them seems to understand that, time will tell...but a keyboard slider would be cool

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-08-16 at 12:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
Nokia really started to go downhill after it agreed to sell itself to Microsoft at the end of 2013, going all in with Windows Mobile. When that faltered, "Microsoft folded Nokia into its mobile business, maintaining the Finnish company's brand on feature phones, while offering up smartphones under the newly integrated Microsoft Lumia line," reports TechCrunch. In May of this year, Microsoft sold its feature phone business to Foxconn for $350 million. At around the same time, Nokia essentially licensed its brand to Finnish company HMD global Oy to create phones under the Nokia name, "which would be manufactured and distributed by Foxconn." Now, TechCrunch is reporting that Nokia has hired Pikka Rantala, the once CEO of Angry Birds creator Rovio, who stepped down in 2015 after a rough year with the mobile gaming company. He will be joining the company as Chief Marketing Officer.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/0...phone-business

AFAIK nokia was downhill before Microsoft mess.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Somebody's asking the right questions here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Somebody's asking the right questions here.
Nice question that'd merit a good answer, but...
unfortunately he couldn't help you with that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

AFAIK nokia was downhill before Microsoft mess.
I can't even say that... That "downhill" turned to cliff jumping when Mircosoft became. Where i know? I did work there . Maemo/Meego was next step, but Symbian people start war with it... and rest you know...

For this thread -> I don't give **** If Nokia makes comeback. We should support Jolla or Ubuntu phone (hate that back button top left corner) and silently drop couple tears for Meego

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
I can't even say that... That "downhill" turned to cliff jumping when Mircosoft became. Where i know? I did work there . Maemo/Meego was next step, but Symbian people start war with it... and rest you know...

For this thread -> I don't give **** If Nokia makes comeback. We should support Jolla or Ubuntu phone (hate that back button top left corner) and silently drop couple tears for Meego
War is never good. Symbian was never good. On the other hand maemo/symbian was still lost...when Apple and Google made their moves.

So it started years before that when nokia didnt understood the future...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
War is never good. Symbian was never good. On the other hand maemo/symbian was still lost...when Apple and Google made their moves.

So it started years before that when nokia didnt understood the future...
Apple/Android didn't kill Nokia, Symbian did.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post: