Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It could not be the cost, that can be easily sorted out by switching the provider.
Well it does. As I said, here, in Germany, there is no real competition in the market. We pay way more than people in Poland or Austria for example..

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
Well it does. As I said, here, in Germany, there is no real competition in the market. We pay way more than people in Poland or Austria for example..
"We" in the UK seem to have got that right, there is legislation requiring ISPs (both residential and mobile) to permit other companies to use their infrastructure for a reasonable cost, so you get big names like EE who provide the typical 24 month contract with "free" handset type deals, but you also get smaller companies using their network. SIM only contracts from the big companies are awful value (say £20/month), the same deal from a 3rd party using the same network is typically <£10/month.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
"We" in the UK seem to have got that right, there is legislation requiring ISPs (both residential and mobile) to permit other companies to use their infrastructure for a reasonable cost, so you get big names like EE who provide the typical 24 month contract with "free" handset type deals, but you also get smaller companies using their network. SIM only contracts from the big companies are awful value (say £20/month), the same deal from a 3rd party using the same network is typically <£10/month.
Well, same here. But, the differences aren’t that big. And two sims, one for calling/sms and one only for data, are cheaper and gives you more data per €.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Two sims can be also useful for traveling - while much less of an issue in EU now thanks to the mandatory free roaming, it is still valid for traveling outside of the EU, where it is generally much cheaper to get a local prepaid sim card for the duration your travels rather than to use roaming.

Also Japan is an interesting case - you will only get prepaid data sims as a tourist for some reason. So having the dual sim capability could be useful as you can use your "normal" sim for any calling/SMS and the local data sim for data.

(For the record: Sailfish OS on the Jolla C had some serious issues with the Japanese prepaid data-only sims during our trip in summer 2017. The connection was unstable and even if it was working Android apps would still think they are offline. In the end I solved that by buying a used unlocked Android phone for ~7000 yen in Osana and used it as a WiFi hotspot with the data sim.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
This is probably one of the very few forums in the internet that relays useful and interesting information when a thread skids off the topic.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to lal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Im from a wealthy country [..]
[..] here, in Germany
Found the problem!

As far as network infrastructure goes, Germany really is a developing country (sometimes I feel in the wrong direction).
There are regions right outside of Berlin, where there is no cellphone coverage at all.

We have three network providers and a whole lot of resellers who usually only use one network. If you happen to be in a region where your provider/reseller has no coverage then you're out of luck.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Keeping it simple. But which gnu/linux phone manufacturer is he talking about in the footnote at the end?

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-12/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
terrible UI even for my fairy big hands....
Unless the phone will be 4" max

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
terrible UI even for my fairy big hands....
Unless the phone will be 4" max
Yeah. Impossible to make a call using only one hand. But apparently they have recognized it too:
The UI is currently basic but functional. It is a far cry from the polished beauty our designers have envisioned. A lot of effort will be needed to rework and polish the UI.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: